Old December 12th 04, 05:27 PM
Sunil Shah

Default What makes a good receiver??

G'day all,

I am (used to be..) a ham radio op, and due to
my current state of radio inactivity, am thinking of
buying a decent receiver. I'm just assuming that it's
possible to get better quality than going for a transceiver,
and anyway, I'm not particularly interested in transmitting,
at the moment..

I want good coverage (frequency and modes) and good sensitivity..
what else? Good output audio quality perhaps... controllable
via PC...

Suggestions? Any good reviews available on the net?
What about digital broadcasting on HF.. where's that going?

Thanks for your ideas,
Sunil
SM7NSX/G
Old December 12th 04, 06:00 PM
Radio Dawg

Radio Reviews at URL:
http://www2.rnw.nl/rnw/en/features/m...s/rx_curr.html
AND
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/8
AND
http://www.dxing.com/rx/rxindex.htm

Specs to consider a
Sensitivity

Dynamic range

Selectivity

Frequency Stability and Accuracy

Cross -Modulation

Gain Compression

Intermodulation Distortion

Phase Noise

See URL -- for spec details
http://comms.hypermart.net/reference/specif.shtml

For Example Good sensitivity without good dynamic range is a poor choice
The basic requirements for the receiver front-end stage a

a.. Large dynamic range
b.. Low noise figure
c.. Power gain consistent with good sensitivity and signal to noise ratio.

SWL Listeners prefer synchronous detection see URL:
http://www.radio-electronics.com/inf...t/sync_det.php

And some SWL stations broadcast in SSB

Digital SW info at URL:
http://www.novia.net/~sadams/My_Page...Shortwave.html

Also you might use the Google search engine -- lots more on receivers on the
web.
ID with held to protect the innocent

Old December 12th 04, 06:02 PM
Radio Dawg

Oh forgot -- the antenna is a BIG factor
I would put money in a good antenna before the top o the line Receiver