Old January 4th 05, 01:02 AM
KØHB

Default Wandering Foot Switch

I like to use a foot switch to key up my transmitter, especially during
contesting when I use a combination earphone/mic headset (Heil Pro-Set).

The problem is that the foot switch tends to get kicked around under the
operating position, finally getting lost just when you hear that new
double-double multiplier in zone 39!

Well, radiomen aren't the only ones to use foot switches, as my lovely XYL K0CKB
pointed out to me. One of her other hobbies is sewing, and seamstresses use a
foot switch all the time, presumably also losing their switch at the worst
possible time. Unlike radiomen, seamstresses did something about it. She sent me
down to the local fabric emporium and told me to ask for a "Pedal Sta-II". You
can see/buy it on the web at http://www.pedal-sta.com/pedal-sta.html. No more
lost foot switch (and multiplier) in the heat of the battle!

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~k0hb

Old January 4th 05, 04:17 PM
Peter Dougherty

"KØHB" said :

No more lost foot switch (and multiplier) in the heat of the battle!

Personally, in high-pressure settings like contesting, I use a either
VOX or a handswitch (though the latter adds one wire to the mess). I
bought the Heil footswitch, and although I do like it in terms of
ergonomics, usability, etc, I think the handswitch is a little more
useful. Plus, I'm much faster on the draw with my hands than with my
feet grin.

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net
Old January 4th 05, 04:29 PM
KØHB

"Walt Davidson" wrote

I wouldn't be surprised if seamsters used one too!

WTF is a seamster?

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~k0hb

Old January 4th 05, 04:38 PM
Caveat Lector

Ah different switches for different folks I guess
I prefer a footswitch -- frees both hands for typing - logging.
VOX is too iffy with back ground noise (wife yells at me, dog barks) and
attack time is a problem (maybe just me)

Here is a contest grade, round foot switch used by many contesters.
From Gem -- round black actuating cap in a chrome plated heavy die cast
housing with a full nonskid base pad. Contesters advise do not order the
line cord option, install some very flexible 2 conductor cable. The line
cord they sell is not flexible enough for amateur needs.

Radio Shack has an economy model (;-)
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...duct_id=44-610

And of course Heil products
http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/fs-...footswitch.htm
--
Caveat Lector

Old January 4th 05, 04:46 PM
Caveat Lector

From Merriam Webster On-Line Dictionary

One entry found for seamster.

Main Entry: seam·ster
Pronunciation: 'sEm(p)-st&r also 'sem(p)-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English semester, semster, from Old English sEamestre
seamstress, tailor, from sEam seam
: a person employed at sewing; especially : TAILOR

Guess Walt uses Old English (;-)
--
Caveat Lector

"KØHB" wrote in message
.net...
"Walt Davidson" wrote

I wouldn't be surprised if seamsters used one too!

WTF is a seamster?

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~k0hb

Attached Images
File Type: gif audio.gif (131 Bytes, 80 views)

Old January 4th 05, 05:04 PM
KØHB

"Caveat Lector" wrote

Guess Walt uses Old English (;-)

Well, at his age........

Old January 4th 05, 05:37 PM
Chad Wahls

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
Ah different switches for different folks I guess
I prefer a footswitch -- frees both hands for typing - logging.
VOX is too iffy with back ground noise (wife yells at me, dog barks) and
attack time is a problem (maybe just me)

Here is a contest grade, round foot switch used by many contesters.
From Gem -- round black actuating cap in a chrome plated heavy die cast

"KØHB" said :

No more lost foot switch (and multiplier) in the heat of the battle!

Personally, in high-pressure settings like contesting, I use a either
VOX or a handswitch (though the latter adds one wire to the mess). I
bought the Heil footswitch, and although I do like it in terms of
ergonomics, usability, etc, I think the handswitch is a little more
useful. Plus, I'm much faster on the draw with my hands than with my
feet grin.

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net

As a live sound engineer I use a footswitch to tap in delay times. I have
found the most effective by far is a HIGH QUALITY sustain pedal use with
electronic piano's. They look like a piano pedal and mine has lasted for
10+years of constant tapping. Keep in mind they come in norm open and
closed. I believe Yamaha and Ensoniq are normally open as Roland is
normally closed. Can be purchased at most reputable music stores and
online.

Chad

Old January 4th 05, 06:03 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Another hint:

If you operate barefoot, it'll be easier to find the footswitch when it
moves. (or when *you* move!)

Just be sure you don't have any exposed high voltage down there!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66