Old September 25th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default EXPEDITION CALL QUESTION: What is "GE"

I was listening on 20M a few nights ago and heard a station with the
call "GE"...no numeral at all (unless I just didn't copy it).

The op said it was an expedition.

Are special calls assigned without numerals?

Thanks,

John
AB8O
Old September 25th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

jawod wrote:
I was listening on 20M a few nights ago and heard a station with the
call "GE"...no numeral at all (unless I just didn't copy it).

The op said it was an expedition.

Are special calls assigned without numerals?

SY8GE?

I suppose it's possible the British authorities have issued a two-letter
callsign, though that would be contrary to the international Radio
Regulations and while some countries wouldn't care, the British do seem
to observe them. It's also possible it was a pirate but I'd think a
pirate would use a callsign that wouldn't stand out quite so much!

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66