Old August 13th 05, 08:33 AM
Brad

Default Removal of Morse Code from Amateur License Requirements...Vanity call wheeee

"Mr Fed UP" wrote in message
Well for myself I wouldn't have picked the spaghetti soup group of letters
I had to
start with. But after retiring I thought I might as well get a little
vain... That's all
that left after a while. he he.... So for a whopping $20 I got a vanity
call after
moving to a new call area. I thought in my second life after heart
surgery,
back surgery,.ect. I might as well have a little fun. After all isn't
that what a
hobby is for? I'll get 10 years out of my new call but I can't get that
far on $20 worth of gas these days. eh. Now all I need is about $20K
for that new $13,000 ham radio and a tower and antenna ha ha.

It seems odd to me that you call them "Vanity Calls" over there and that
they were rare. A very large percentage of VK's have them here, they cost no
extra, and if they have any title, it would be personalised call. Look the
through the callbook, many have their initials. I had my initials (mixed
slightly) with VK2JBG, and now a two letter call of my choosing VK2QQ and
even my Outpost Radio (Royal FLying Doctor Service) call was 2NUT, at my
request. I don't know why Americans seem to be so polarised about vanity
calls, they've always existed here.

Brad VK2QQ

Old August 13th 05, 02:03 PM
Dee Flint

"Brad" bradvk2qq AT w6ir.com wrote in message

[snip]

It seems odd to me that you call them "Vanity Calls" over there and that
they were rare. A very large percentage of VK's have them here, they cost
no
extra, and if they have any title, it would be personalised call. Look the
through the callbook, many have their initials. I had my initials (mixed
slightly) with VK2JBG, and now a two letter call of my choosing VK2QQ and
even my Outpost Radio (Royal FLying Doctor Service) call was 2NUT, at my
request. I don't know why Americans seem to be so polarised about vanity
calls, they've always existed here.

Brad VK2QQ

I don't think we are particularly polarized by vanity calls. Although some
are annoyed by the fact that one can ask for and receive "out of area"
calls. However those same people who are annoyed by that are also annoyed
by the fact that we don't have to change calls when we move to an area
different than our current call sign would normally indicate. Most people
just ignore those who are annoyed by such little things.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE