Old May 4th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default BS7H

Wes Stewart wrote:
On Thu, 3 May 2007 16:36:03 -0500, "J. Mc Laughlin"
wrote:

Hi again Mac,

I avoided mentioning the role of the DX operator in keeping things
orderly and productive. It is my observation that it takes a certain signal
to noise+QRM ratio to start to be effective. I also note that many CW
stations do not use break-in with the inevitable result of loosing track and
transmitting when they should wait.

My comments DX ops where meant to be more generic than specific to
this operation. Considering that they are teetering on top of a rock
they are doing a fine job. I'm sure it is easy to forget that you've
been transmitting for an hour without giving any info when your feet
are wet.

Also, I think that DX ops these days (not specific to these guys)
think that everyone is connected to some damn cluster and is getting
all of their info from spots. Some of us aren't (don't).

It took me more than 50 years to arrive at HR. Longevity is a
significant asset in the DX game.

Yep, especially if your station is modest as is mine. My HB
three-element 20m Yagi at 45' is the biggest antenna I've ever had. I
have wires for 40/80.

If ARRL would ever process my field-checked DXCC app from two months
ago I could submit another one with old QSLs and qualifiy for 5-band.

My noise level is so low today that I continue to be able to hear BS7H
even without a hint of moving the S meter. They are working hard to thin
out the pack.

73, Mac N8TT

P.S. I encourage you to work on an antenna for 10.1 MHz.

I'm thinking that my next antenna project will be a 2-meter EME
antenna. Maybe I can get DXCC there before I croak. The problem is,
everyone has gone digital mode and I'm not yet convinced that those
are "real" QSOs [g].

Regards,

Wes

Didn't you have an EME antenna 20 years (or more) ago?

73,
Bob, N7XY
Old May 4th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

I avoided mentioning the role of the DX operator in keeping things
orderly and productive. It is my observation that it takes a certain
signal

Agree a lot of it is the Op. I haven't been DX for 20 years But I still
remember being called a lot
of names because I ruled the pileups with an iron fist because if you didn't
it would get out of hand
quick. But if the rules were followed I could run them at a Fairly good
clip. My DX ops were 2 minor and
1 what I would consider major ... /EA7 80-82 in Rota .. would generate
small piles, KG4RS in Gitmo (1979) was my warm up for the biggie .. VQ9RS
(Sept-Dec 1980)... Man those piles were tremendous.

Scotty W7PSK.

Old May 4th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

On Thu, 03 May 2007 17:52:50 -0700, Bob Nielsen
asked:

Didn't you have an EME antenna 20 years (or more) ago?

Yes. A modest one...four Cushcraft "Boomers". (3.2 lambda boom)

A domestic upheaval in 1983 put me QRT and I've never rebuilt. The
antenna pieces are still around and the 8877 amp is still taking up
space in my tiny hamshack. All I need is ambition.

I did some single antenna tropo and MS from this QTH, enough for VUCC,
but my heart was never into chasing that award and I never even
applied since when it was initiated, they said all my prior QSOs were
no good.

Two-meter stats:

DX:18 States:39 WAC:Yes VUCC:100 sumpthin'

Regards,

Wes