Old January 13th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.info,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default Ohio/Penn DX Special Bulletin #892.1

SB DX @ WW KB8NW $OPDX.892.1
Ohio/Penn DX Special Bulletin No. 892.1

The Ohio/Penn DX PacketCluster
DX Special Bulletin No. 892.1
BID: $OPDX.892.1
January 13, 2009
Editor Tedd Mirgliotta, KB8NW
Provided by BARF80.ORG (Cleveland, Ohio)

Thanks to the Northern Ohio Amateur Radio Society, Northern Ohio DX
Association, Ohio/Penn PacketCluster Network, AB5K & the AR TelNet
Clusters Network and W2VU for the following DX information.

The following press release was provided by Richard Moseson, W2VU.

NEWS RELEASE

For more information, contact:
Richard Moseson, W2VU
Editor, CQ Amateur Radio
(516) 681-2922 /

Dave Morris, N5UP
Founder and Webmaster, eQSL.cc

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 13, 2009

CQ to Accept eQSL Confirmations for Award Credit
Hicksville, NY and Bedford, TX, January 13, 2009) - CQ magazine will
accept contact confirmations made on the eQSL.cc electronic confirmation
system for its operating awards effective immediately, CQ Editor Rich
Moseson, W2VU, and eQSL Founder and Webmaster Dave Morris, N5UP, announced
today.

There will be certain limitations and procedural differences for
different awards, at least to start. Only confirmations from "Authenticity
Guaranteed" members of eQSL will be accepted, and in accordance with
existing eQSL policy, a membership level of bronze or higher is required
in order to participate in award programs via eQSL.

"This is the first time that CQ has formally accepted anything other
than traditional paper QSL cards for its awards," said Moseson. "We have
been working with Dave Morris and his team for several months to assure
that the integrity of our awards programs will be protected and to create
mechanisms to make it easy for both award applicants and award managers
to use eQSL credits toward our awards. All of our award managers have
been involved in this process and support this action."

"We want to express our great appreciation to Dave and his team for
their willingness to do whatever was necessary to make this agreement
possible," Moseson added. "It has been a pleasure working with them
and we look forward to a long-lasting relationship."

"We are pleased to be adding CQ to the top of our list of amateur
organizations that accept electronic QSLs," said Morris. "CQ has some
of the most highly sought-after awards, and we have been working behind
the scenes for years to create credit submission mechanisms that would
ensure the integrity of their programs without introducing any additional
labor for the award managers. We believe the electronic QSL can drastically
reduce costs, and the award application mechanisms we have developed will
provide for more efficient processing at reduced cost for both the
applicant and the award manager."

Applicants for the CQ DX and CQ DX Field Awards must print out their
eQSLs and submit them along with their traditional QSLs to a CQ checkpoint
or to CQ DX Awards Manager Billy Williams, N4UF. eQSL has an automated
process in place for applicants for CQ's Worked All Zones, WPX and
USA-Counties awards. N5UP explains how that will work for the applicant:

"The applicant goes to the My Awards screen. He clicks on the particular
award he wants to apply for. This brings up a list of the credits our
system 'thinks' he is entitled to. There are checkboxes that allow him
to check which ones he wants to use, and we automatically pre-fill one
credit per category so he doesn't have to do anything if he wants to
take the defaults. At the bottom of the screen are two buttons: 'Submit
to CQ' and 'Print Paper Application'."

The "submit" button will place all the selected QSOs into a file for
the award manager to access, while the "print" button will generate a
printed list to be submitted along with the traditional application.
PLEASE NOTE that ALL applicants must send the award fee payment to the
CQ Award Manager, regardless of how the application is submitted. Some
CQ award managers are now accepting PayPal; see individual award web
pages for details. All awards will continue to accept traditional QSLs
as well as eQSLs. For the USA-Counties Award (USA-CA), applicants must
note on their record books (or printouts) whether each county has been
confirmed traditionally (with an "X" to the right of the entry) or
electronically (with an "E" next to the entry).

For more information on eQSL, visit:
http://www.eQSL.cc
For more information on CQ awards, visit the awards page on the CQ
website at http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/. Please note that the
award rules posted on the website have not yet been updated to reflect
the acceptance of eQSLs. This will be done as soon as possible, but
the policy takes effect immediately.

** IMPORTANT NOTICE/REMINDER ** The Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin now has a new
FAX number. Contributors can now send/fax their DX information to the
following number: 1-419-828-7791 ( F A X only! )
ALSO VISIT THE NORTHERN OHIO DX ASSOCIATION'S WEB HOME PAGE:
http://www.papays.com/nodxa.html
Excerpts and distribution of The OPDX Bulletin are granted as long as
KB8NW/OPDX/BARF80 receive credit. To contribute DX info, please send
via InterNet Mail to: - OR -
Information can now be faxed to the following "NEW" phone line at:
1-419-828-7791 (F A X only!)

/EXIT
Tedd Mirgliotta, KB8NW -
--or--
Editor of the "Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin" (OPDX - "DXer's Tool of Excellence")
President of the "Northern Ohio DX Association" (NODXA)
DX Chairman for the "Northern Ohio Amateur Radio Society
ARRL Assistant Director of the Great Lakes Division
Sysop of the "Basic Amateur Radio Frequency BBS" (BARF80.ORG)