Old November 21st 12, 03:53 AM
Junior Member

Location: St. Louis
Send a message via AIM to Angusmcwhorter
Default Returning to dxing (a few observations)

I am back into dxing as I have gone into hibernation with this hobby since I was a fanatic in the 1980's and 1990's. Anyway, I got a new radio yesterday in the mail, a Grundig Satellit 750, set up my antenna including figuring out a ground and am back at it. A few observations that I have quickly made is that sadly there are quite a few stations missing since I last signed on such as Radio Canada and Radio Netherlands. Yes, i am not suprised since the internet is a much more popular medium plus the economy I am sure has had a major effect. On the plus side, it is great to have the internet for research and other things. I am excited to be back in the saddle again.

Last edited by Angusmcwhorter : November 21st 12 at 03:54 AM Reason: spelling correction
Old November 21st 12, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

In article ,
Angusmcwhorter wrote:

I am back into dxing as I have gone into hibernation with this hobby
since I was a fanatic in the 1980's and 1990's. Anyway, I got a new
radio yesterday in the mail, a Grundig Satellit 750, set up my antenna
including figuring out a ground and am back at it. A few observations
that I have quickly made is that sadly there are quite a few stations
missing since I last signed on such as Radio Canada and Radio
Netherlands.

Hello, Angus. Yes, a number of commercial shortwave stations have
gone off the air in recent years. But with solar activity improving,
perhaps you will have fun now with the ones that are left.

You can probably get more of a discussion going about this in the
newsgroup rec.radio.shortwave. In fact, someone was just discussing
the Satellit 700 there. This group (rec.radio.amateur.dx) is for
amateur radio, and of course the Satellit 750 can't transmit. Of
course some hams also do SW DXing of commercial stations, but you'll
likely have better luck in the other group.

Patty

Old November 22nd 12, 03:55 AM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angusmcwhorter View Post
Thank you for your kind words Patty. I reposted this in that group.
I was going to say the same thing..

Commercial radio, with it's purpose built towers and antenna's and thousands of watts is not much of a struggle - especially with a good receiver.

The astonishing thing is that you would waste your money on a receiver...

The real DX now is on the HF / VHF - Amateur Radio Bands...

A real catch would be to work all 50 states and all of the grid squares on 6 meters. The reason being that no one uses 6 anymore and there isn't anyone to talk to anymore unless there is a VHF contest.

The world has changed and people have moved on and the old hams are dead and the new hams just don't get it anymore...

Digital modes isn't much different then using a modem and a dial up connection and the internet.. Either the signal is there or it isn't.

2 meters packet isn't even hard to do with all the packet networks and stations set up. I don't really get it, because what are you going to send?
I would quickly run out of things to talk about...

GET yourself a technician license manual and study and get your amateur radio license and get on the air and participate instead of just listening.

Observations/questions about HD Radio Intolerant Bastard Shortwave 0 January 26th 10 09:01 PM
Observations Art Unwin Antenna 90 October 8th 08 04:43 AM
Lens' observations ... John Smith I Policy 24 April 24th 07 03:04 AM
IMD observations [email protected] Shortwave 3 November 27th 06 03:52 PM
WGN 720 Silent Period-Observations N8KDV Shortwave 14 December 2nd 03 03:24 PM