Old November 26th 16, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] More QSLs from stations whose calls spell words - W2BEE, PA3BUD

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

More QSLs from stations whose calls spell words - W2BEE, PA3BUD

Greg, W2BEE, writes, TNX DANPSE ADD THIS TO UR COLLECTION OF CARDS FOR CALL
SIGNS THAT SPELL WORDS! As you can see, I already had his card, but I love
the new card with the beautiful green landscape. This is actually my third
BEE card. I also have one from W3BEE.

This is my second BUD. The first was from W8BUD.

The post More QSLs from stations whose calls spell words W2BEE, PA3BUD
appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

Should amateur radio be used for military purposes?

About a month ago, it was reported that amateur radio operators Â*in India
had been drafted toÂ*monitor the radio communications of suspected terrorist
using the ham bands. The report in The Arunachal Times notes:

Suspicious signals in coded Bengali and Urdu languages along the
India-Bangladesh border in past few months have raised suspicion over
extremists using this unconventional mode of communication, prompting
authorities to deploy Ham radio operators on round-the-clock duty.
The incident first came into light in June after amateur Ham radio
operators picked suspicious radio signals and unauthorised radio
communications in coded Bengali and Urdu in Basirhat and Sunderbans region.
Alarmed over the incident, the operators informed the Centre following
which they were called to an international monitoring centre (Radio) and
asked to track the signals.
A team of 23 Ham radio operators are now on round-the- clock duty trying to
track the exact location of radio signals.

This story was also reported in IndiasÂ*Press Trust of India News and
FirstPost.
While Im all for ham radio being used for emergency and public service
communications, Im not so sure that I agree with this particular use. I
would be OK with thisÂ*if the amateur radio operators in question were
actually drafted into the military and used military equipment to monitor
these transmissions, but Im not sure that as amateur radio operators they
should be taking part in these kinds of operations.
What do you think? If you lived down near the U.S.-Mexican borderÂ*or the
U.S.-Canadian border, and the Border Patrol or Army asked you to listen
forÂ*potential terrorist communications, would you do so?

The post Should amateur radio be used for military purposes? appeared first
on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.