Old March 3rd 17, 04:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Radio amateurs should know how radios work

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Radio amateurs should know how radios work

About a month ago, I opinedÂ*about whyÂ*more than half of licensed radio
amateursÂ*never get more than a Technician Class license. Â*I then combined
thatÂ*with a related postÂ*about discussions within the ARRL about a possible
new entry-level license and sent this article to subscribers who then
publish it in their club newsletter.

This morning, I got a reply from someone who read this latest column. He
writes:

Your article on why there are so many Technicians was very
informative. Â*The comment about not finding an Elmer was dead on. Â*I was
very happy being just a tech until some Elmers started nudging me to become
a General and enjoy HF.

I am so grateful to them. Â*TheyÂ*were there to push me to get to the next
level. Â*But more importantly they worked with me on becoming a very good
radio operator. Â*And boy do some of the new hams need to learn this is not
upgraded CB land we are in.

Lastly I will add one more addition to your list. Â*The study questions to
move up each level are so obsolete its almost embarrassing. Â*With the
technology in todays radios most, and I mean most, will NEVER, EVER take it
apart. Â*There is no need to. Â*Yet most of the questions are focused on what
makes a radio work the way it does. Â*Do we really need to know about
resistors and capacitors to make us good operators? Â*I dont think so.

Sadly I think that is why I wont become an extra any time soon. Â*Too much
information to learn that will be of little to no use as I grow in the
hobby.

There is a huge thought difference between the old stogies (sic) of ham
radio and the new people like me. Â*And as long as the old stogies stand put
in their ideas and ideals then yes you will not see as much growth in this
hobby as there very well could be.

Thanks again for the great article.

I was very happy that he found Elmers that encouraged him and helped him
along the way. I almost couldnt believe it, however, when I read that he
found no value in learning about resistors and capacitors. I replied:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I was with you right up until you said, “ The study questions to move up
each level are so obsolete its almost embarrassing….Do we really need to
know about resistors and capacitors to make us good operators?” The answer
to that specific question is no, but radio amateurs—especially Amateur
Extra Class licensees are supposed to be more than just operators.
Part 97.1 of the rules lists five “purposes” for amateur radio. Part
97.1(b) reads, Continuation and extension of the amateurs proven ability to
contribute to the advancement of the radio art.” I take that to mean that
radio amateurs should not only know about resistors and capacitors, but a
heck of a lot more as well. While the question pool certainly needs
updating, removing the questions that are “focused on what makes a radio
work” is truly not the way to go.
It may not seem like it to you at this point, but knowing about resistors
and capacitors, and how radios work, will make you a better amateur radio
operator. Even if you never do take your radio apart, this knowledge will
give you a better appreciation of what your equipment is doing and how to
get the best out of it. And, of course, it will help you troubleshoot
problems when (not if) they arise.
I really am very sorry to hear you say that you’re not going to pursue the
Extra Class license. It’s not the piece of paper that’s important, but the
knowledge that you’d gain by doing so. Operating is fun, but that’s only
part of amateur radio. Understanding the technology that drives amateur
radio makes it even more fun.

If sticking to the idea that a radio amateur should understand how radios
work makes me an old fogey, then I guess Im an old fogey.

The post Radio amateurs should know how radios work appeared first on
KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.