Old June 10th 17, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Whats your version of the next generation of ham radio?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Whats your version of the next generation of ham radio?

Amazon EchoAmazon EchoIn a recent episode of Ham Radio Now, Gary, KN4AQ,
chides Jason, KC5HWB, of Ham Radio 2.0, about the name of his podcast. Gary
thinks that were up to at least version 4.0 by now. (I dont rememberÂ*the
exact episode. Maybe Gary can comment on this.)

Whatever the next version number really is, things certainly are changing.
Recently, for example, someone commented on my Twitter feed, that he was
seeing lots of digital activity on 20m, but little or no SSB or CW
activity. Thats certainly to be expected in the future. For whatever
reason, new hams—both young and old—dont seem to be ragchewers.
(Coincidentally, or maybe not, its odd that the next generation of ham
radio will have such a big social media, i.e. Twitter, component.)

Im just going to throw out some ideas here, and then hopefully, get some
ideas back from you:

Voice control. Ive become enamored with my Amazon Echo. I listen to radio
stations on it, I ask for spellings of words, and Id play music on it if Id
popped for the more expensive version with better speakers. Its pretty
amazing technology. What Id like to do is develop a box that would allow me
to control my HF rig. I want to be able to say, Alexa: Set IC-7300 to 7.o27
MHz, CW mode, and have that happen.
Artifical intelligence. Amazon is, Im sure, using artificial intelligence
techniques to do speech recognition. Can the use of AI to demodulate
signals be far behind? Not only that, Id guess that AI could be used to
select an appropriate frequency/channel/mode in the first place.
JT9, JT65. Id like to see an extension of these modes to allow some real
communication. I dont see why this isnt possible, except, I guess, that
this code isnt open source. Is anyone working on an open source version?
Are any extensions being considered?

Well, thats all for now. I gotta go work some CW on 40m. Let me know what
you think.

The post Whats your version of the next generation of ham radio? appeared
first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.