Old October 1st 17, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] Nurragi Conservation Reserve VKFF-2247

vk5pas

Nurragi Conservation Reserve VKFF-2247

https://vk5pas.org/2017/09/30/nurrag...e-vkff-2247-2/

This morning (Saturday 30th September 2017) I headed out to activate the
Nurragi Conservation Reserve VKFF-2247, which is located about 70 km south
east of Adelaide. Â*It was a beautiful Spring day and I had a few hours to
spare before the commencement of the AFL Grand Final, in which my team, the
Adelaide Crows played. Â*I shouldnt have rushed home! Â*Sadly they were
beaten.
Above:- Map showing the location of the Nurragi Conservation Reserve. Â*Map
courtesy of Google maps

The Nurragi Conservation Reserve follows the old branch railway line to
Milang and runs a distance of about 12 km, from Sandergrove to Milang. Â*The
park is about 65 hectares in size. Â*The Friends of Nurragi was established
in 1988 to protect and restore the reserve and in 1991 the Minister of
Lands dedicated the area as a Nature Conservation and Plantation Reserve
under the Crown Lands Act 1929.

The park commences at the town of Milang, which is located on the banks of
Lake Alexandrina. Â*Between 1860 and 1880 Milang was one of South
Australia’s busiest ports. Â*It connected Adelaide with the thriving river
trade. Â*Wool from the Darling and Upper Murray stations was landed at
Milang and then transported by horse and bullock teams to Port Adelaide.
Wheat was transported to Milang, processed at its flour mills and then
shipped back as flour.
Above:- Aerial shot showing the park, looking north west, with Adelaide in
the background. Â*Image courtesy of Google maps

The reserve forms a wildlife corridor linking the eastern Mount Lofty
Ranges with Lake Alexandrina and contains extremely important vegetation in
a region that has been cleared of over 98% of its original cover. Â* More
than 300 native plant species are present, with over 50 of those being of
particular conservation significance (eg rare or endangered). Â* It
preserves remnant mallee vegetation including square-fruited mallee,
narrow-leaved red mallee, peppermint box, and native apricot. Â*Understorey
plants include wallowa, needle bush wattle and broombush.

Over 95 species of birds have been recorded in the park includingÂ*Peaceful
Dove, Weebill, Australian Magpie, Little Raven, Grey Shrikethrush, Diamond
Firetail, Southern Boobook, Red-capped Robin, Hooded Robin, and Rufous
Whistler. Â*Native mammals found in the park include Western Grey kangaroos,
Brush-tailed possums and bats. Â*About 11 reptile species have been recorded
including the Sand Goanna.

During my visit to the park, Superb Blue Wrens and New Holland Honeyeaters
were in abundance.

I have activated the park previously, in August this year, and I headed
roughly to the same location as my previous activation, on Nurragi
Road. Â*This time I activated from the eastern side of the road.

There were some wooden benches already in place in the park, so the deck
chair remained in the back of the Toyota Hi Lux. Â*I ran the Yaesu FT-857d,
set at 40 watts output, and the 20/40/80m linked dipole for this activation.
Above:- Aerial shot showing my operating spot in the park. Â*Image courtesy
of Google maps

Before calling CQ I had a tune around the band and worked Tony VK3CAB/p in
the Pauline Toner Butterfly Nature Conservation Reserve VKFF-2175. I had
heard Tony on my way to the park, but he was not quite strong enough from
the mobile for me to work. Â*I then found Gerard VK2JNG/p calling CQ from
the Rawdon Creek Nature Reserve VKFF-1990. Â*It was a nice way to start the
activation, with two Park to Park contacts.

I then headed to 7.149 and called CQ. Â*This was answered by Mike VK3KMH,
followed by Geoff VK3SQ and then Keith VK2PKT. Â*A little pile up soon
ensued, with callers from VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5 and VK7. Â*Band conditions were
okay, but there was a little fading (QSB) noted on some signals. Â*Close in
propagation on 40m was not brilliant again, with just Marija VK5FMAZ and
Greg VK5GJ logged. Â*Both were within 40 km from the park. Â*Greg was running
QRP, just 4 watts and Marija was using her allocated 10 watts PEP.

A number of stations calling me were struggling with noise. Â*Fortunately
from the park I had zero man made noise. Â*I would encourage anyone who has
never undertaken a park or a SOTA activation to give it a try. Â*There is
generally no noise, and you can literally hear a pin drop.

I logged a total of 36 stations on 7.149 before callers slowed down. Â*I
took the opportunity of having a look around the 40m band and found Chris
VK5FR/p on 7.100 operating portable from the Black Hill Conservation Park
VKFF-0766. Â*Chris was quite low down, as I was to him, but due to the low
noise floor we were able to comfortably work each other. Â*I was really
pleased to get Chris in the log. Â*Chris commenced his 900km bike riding
journey of the Mawson Trail this morning, with a number of park activations
along the way. Â*You can follow the journey of Chris at.

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...ZQZzWXrEA0 PQ

(Password is vk5fr).
Above:- The Mawson Trail, c/o Trails SA

I then headed to 3.610 on the 80m band, where first in the log was my
lovely wife Marija VK5FMAZ, followed by Greg VK5GJ and then Hans
VK5YX. Â*Despite the band being wide open to South Australia (VK5), I only
worked a further 2 stations.Adrian VK5FANA and John VK5BJE.

I then headed to 14.310 on the 20m band where I logged a total of 5
stations from Queensland (VK4) and Western Australia (VK6).

To complete the activation I moved back to 40m. Â*I had seen a spot on
parksnpeaks for Neil VK4HNS/p, so I headed to 7.160 where I logged Neil who
was activating the Bendidee National Park VKFF-0030. Â*I then worked Joe
VK3YSP/7, Julie VK3FOWL/7 and Anthony VK3YSA/7, all of whom were in
theÂ*Narawntapu National Park VKFF-0005 in Tasmania. Â*I then called CQ on
7.150 and this was answered by Les VK5KLV, followed by Bruce VK3PNG/p.

It was about this time that I had some bushwalkers come by. Â*They stopped
and sat on the bench alongside of me to enjoy their lunch and have a listen
to what I was up to. Â*I logged a further 9 stations from VK2 and VK3,
before I had to go QRT for the day and head home to watch the footy.

It was a great morning out in the park, with a total of 65 contacts in the
log, including 7 Park to Park QSOs. Â*Shame about the footy. Â*But I am still
proud of the Crows for making the Grand Final. Â*There is always next year
and the world still turns.

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3CAB/p (Pauline Toner Butterfly Nature Conservation Reserve VKFF-2175)
VK2JNG/p (Rawdon Creek Nature Reserve VKFF-1990)
VK3KMH
VK3SQ/p
VK2PKT
VK3SFG
VK3ARH
VK3ANP
VK2HHA
VK3ZLD
VK3ZIP
VK2XXM
VK3FSPG
VK3MPR
VK3MRH
VK3WAC/m
VK5FMAZ
VK3DAC
VK3GMC
VK5WAT/3
VK5GJ
VK3FQ
VK3UH
VK3PF
VK3FONZ/m
VK3UCD
VK2KYO
VK2NP
VK2MTC
VK3ZE
VK3FCMC
VK3MSQ
VK2VRC
VK7PRN
VK3MKM
VK7JN
VK2SVN
VK3VGB
VK5FR/p (Black Hill Conservation Park VKFF-0766)
VK4HNS/p (Bendidee National Park VKFF-0030)
VK3YSP/7 (Narawntapu National Park VKFF-0005)
VK3FOWL/7Â*(Narawntapu National Park VKFF-0005)
VK3YSA/7Â*(Narawntapu National Park VKFF-0005)
VK5KLV
VK3PNG/p
VK3FAHS/p
VK2IO
VK3GGG
VK3PMG
VK3ANL
VK3PAT
VK3JP
VK2GSP
VK3MB
VK2VW

I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK5FMAZ
VK5GJ
VK5YX
VK5FANA
VK5BJE

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

VK4AAC
VK6NI
VK4RF
VK4HA