Old January 9th 20, 06:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [W2LJ] On The Air

W2LJ QRP - When you care to send the very least!

On The Air

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

Many of you have probably heard that the ARRL has launched a new
publication - "On The Air". This magazine is dedicated to / aimed at
the "Beginner to Intermediate" Amateur Radio operator, in terms of
experience.

ARRL members will be able to specify which print magazine they wish to
receive - either "On The Air" or "QST". Both will be available to all ARRL
members as digital editions. But hey, don't take my word for it - here it
is right fro the horse's mouth:

01/07/2020

The premiere issue of ARRL’s On the Air magazine has left the printer and
is on its way to member subscribers! The magazine should be in mailboxes
within the next 10 days. On the Air is the newest ARRL member benefit to
help new licensees and beginner-to-intermediate radio communicators
navigate the world of amateur radio.

Eligible US-based members can elect to receive On the Air or QST magazine
in print when they join or when they renew their ARRL membership. All
members will be able to access digital editions of On the Air magazine.

The first digital issue of On the Air will be available beginning January
14, supported by a new version of ARRL’s digital magazine app. With one
app, members will be able to access On the Air and QST.

Looks like there's a new app that I will be downloading onto my phone, soon.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Hope springs eternal

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...medium=emai l

I guess for the QRP operator, it has to. I'm going to bore you guys with
yet another Fox hunt post, but there's lessons to be learned - mostly by me.

Last night was the 40 Meter QRP Fox hunt. Our two Foxes were Marty NR3Z in
PA and Rick NK9G/7 in AZ. Marty doesn't live all that far from the NJ/PA
border, radio-wise, so I didn't expect to hear him - and I didn't.

Rick NK9G was a different story. He was weak (to me) all night. Mostly he
was ESP. I figured out where he was from the baying of his chasers. I knew
he was there and I could make out his call sign and the occasional "QRZ"
or "AGN?". Late in the hunt, for about ten to fifteen minutes, he rose to
about a 229 / 339 level. I called, furiously, to no avail. I went 0 for 2
last night - skunked.

Why? I don't know. Both Steve WX2S and Charles W2SH, two other NJ Hounds
bagged Rick's pelt. Maybe South Plainfield is in an RF hole or something.
Or maybe that first ridge of the Watchung hills blocked me - I am in their
shadow. Not sure what it is, except that it was frustrating as all get out.
For crying out loud, I just worked Paraguay the other day and I can't make
it to Arizona?!?

But looking back on it, even though at the time it seemed and felt like a
wasted night, in reality I WAS doing something that I love to do. Just
because I wasn't successful at it doesn't nullify the effort or the
experience. I think we (that should be "I") get too hung up on results
sometimes. I keep my eye on the destination too much, without looking at
and enjoying the journey instead.

What's the twist on that old saying about fishing? "A bad day (night) at
QRPing is better than a good day at work!" Forty years a Ham, and I still
need to kick myself in the pants and remember that - often.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!