Old April 6th 20, 04:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] European park activators

vk5pas

European park activators

https://vk5pas.org/2020/04/06/european-park-activators/

On Saturday night (4th April 2020) when I got home from work following
afternoon shift, I headed up to the shack to see if 20m short path was
open. To my listening pleasure, it was.Â* There were some excellent signals
coming in from Europe, the United Kingdom, and the Middle East.

I decided not to prop somewhere and call CQ, but rather, tune across the
band and hopefully work some European park or SOTA activators.

First in the log was Eyal 4X6RE who was mobile in the Taninim Nature
Reserve 4XFF-0070.Â* Eyal was working a big pile-up from Europe and it was
very hard trying to break through from VK.Â* Fortunately, a Dutch station
mentioned that I was calling, so Eyal told everyone to stand by and called
for VK.Â* Eyal was a good 5/7 signal and reciprocated with a 5/7 signal
report for me.

The Taninim Stream Nature Reserve combines nature and history through which
the Taninim River runs.Â* The reserve includes the remains of a dam built at
the end of the Roman period and the beginning of the Byzantine period.Â*
Several flour mills have also been recently unearthed.Â* The abundance of
water led to the construction of water-operated flour mills in the
Byzantine and Ottoman periods.

The stream was named Taninim – Hebrew for crocodiles – because these
reptiles inhabited the nearby Kebara swamps until the beginning of the 20th
century.

Next was Lars PH0NO/p in Deelerwoud PAFF-0055 who had a good 5/7 signal.

Deelerwoud is a Dutch Nature Reserve of about 2,300 hectares in the wooden
region of Veluwe in the province of Gelderland.

The heather in the reserve is grazed by Hereford Highland cattle.Â* Other
mammals found in the area include Red deer, Fallow deer, Roe deer, Wild
boar, Fox, and Pine Marten.

My third and final park activator was Jaromir OK1XZ who was activating PP
Nedosinsky haj OKFF-1949.Â* He was being belted around a bit by splatter
from Italian station 4 kc below, but despite this we comfortably made
contact.

Nedosinsky is a forest situated between the villages of Nedosin and Trzek.

I also logged a number of special event stations and some Polish stations
in the SP DX Contest, before heading off to bed.