Old April 25th 20, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VA3QV] HF Antenna work on VA3QV/m (Part 3)

My Amateur Radio Life

HF Antenna work on VA3QV/m (Part 3)

https://va3qv.wordpress.com/2020/04/...a3qv-m-part-3/

been just over a month since we last spoke of this topic..Â* Since then..
before today nothing happened as I was busy with :
Work
The new to me FT950
Avoiding all those nasty Covid thingys
Family
Life

So this afternoon I decided to review and continue on with my mobile
installation.Â* I installed a double fused positive wire (one at the battery
end and one at the radio end) along with a single fused (at the radio end)
for the ground.

The successful result of this is that the radio is getting enough power
from the battery to easily operate at 100w.Â* The drawback to this is that I
was hoping hooking direct to the battery and a ground would of filtered
more of the electrical noise in the vehicle.

Vehicle turned off I have a S5 noise floor and with the vehicle running
between S7 and S9 depending on the RPMs of the engine.Â* More revs = more
noise.

The Wolf River 10-40m coil did not need retuning and I can easily cover the
complete 40m voice portion of the band.Â* Worst SWR I saw was 2:1 and that
was easily corrected using the Yaesu FT 450s built in Auto Tuner.Â* This was
a succcess.

Muprhy (you all remember my good friend Murph????) also paid a visit when I
realized that I had not brought my antenna analyzer with me so I could not
set and mark the coil for the other bands at this time.

Well I have two days off coming up on this Monday and Tuesday so there is a
good chance (weather permitting) to make the wiring neater along with
setting the various Bands SWR on the coil.

However on 40m during my test drive I did manage a 40 ssb contact with an
American Station who said he was in the State of Virginia approx 13 miles
from Washington DC.Â* I cant remember his call and could not log (as I was
driving at the time) but I gave him an honest 55 report as he was just over
the noise and he replied with the same report back and that does not shock
me as..Â* Â*If he can hear me over his noise then my mobile is doingÂ* a good
job.

Now once I get that work completed then all I have to do is find somewhere
to go during this lockdown and something to do when I get there.

There will be a Part 4 for this one with more technical details and the
final pics.

Till then. Stay Healthy and Stay Safe

73bob