Old December 1st 20, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] Scott Conservation Park 5CP-206 and VKFF-0934

VK5PAS

Scott Conservation Park 5CP-206 and VKFF-0934

https://vk5pas.org/2020/11/30/scott-...d-vkff-0934-3/

After packing up at the Encounter Marine Park, Marija and I headed to the
Scott Conservation Park 5CP-206 & VKFF-0934. The park is located about 80
km south of Adelaide.

This park is not to be confused with the Scott Creek Conservation Park
which is located in the Adelaide Hills, or the Mount Scott Conservation
Park which is located in the South East region of South Australia.

We drove north out of Goolwa on Alexandrina Road and then turned left onto
Gould Road. It wasnt long until we reached the northern boundary of the
park which is well sign posted.

The Scott Conservation Park is about 210 hectares in size and is a small
piece of native scrub located on the Fleurieu Peninsula, about 13 km by
road, north of Goolwa.

Above:- An aerial shot showing the Scott Conservation Park, looking south
towards the Southern Ocean. Image c/o Google maps

The park was first proclaimed as a National Park on the 20th day of March
1969 and was re-proclaimed as the Scott Conservation Park on the 27th day
of April 1972.

As you travel west on Gould Road you will see some thick scrub. This is
not the park. These are a number of private properties. You need to
continue west to reach the park.

There is also a small piece of scrub in the north western corner of the
park. This is a Heritage Agreement. Dont get this confused for the park.
There is also another Heritage Agreement to the south of the park.

Above:- Map showing the Scott Conservation Park and the two
adjacent/adjoining heritage agreements. Map courtesy of Protected Planet.

Scott Conservation is a beautiful park. It contains Low Woodland
comprising Brown Stringybark, Cup Gum, Peppermint Box, Heat Tea-tree and
Tates Grass-tree. The park also contains Mallee consisting of Pink Gum and
Peppermint Box.

Birds SA have recorded a total of 148 birds in the park including Common
Bronzewing, White-throated Treecreeper, Superb Fairywren, New Holland
Honeyeater, Red Wattlebird, Grey Shrikethrush, Cockatiel, Eastern Rosella,
Tawny-crowned Honeyeater, Â*Restless Flycatcher, Hooded Robin, and Eastern
Shriketit.

Various native mammals call the park home including Western Grey Kangaroos,
Ringtail Possums and Western Pygmy Possums

There are 2 walks which can be undertaken in the park, the Watercourse Hike
and the Orchid Hike. Details of those walks can be found on the Walking SA
website at..

https://www.walkingsa.org.au/walk/fi...ervation-park/

We parked the vehicle in the small carpark near the gate and then walked a
short distance down the walking trail. We ran the Yaesu FT-857d and the
20/40/80m linked dipole for this activation.

First in the log was Peter VK3PF whose signal was well down compared to
usual. Marija and I went on to work a total of 54 stations on 40m from
VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5, VK6, and VK7. This included the following Park to Park
contacts..

Gerard VK2IO Blue Mountains National Park VKFF-0041 & VK2/ CT-032Nick
VK3ANL/p St Andrews Nature Conservation Reserve VKFF-2195Tony VK3YV/p
Tarra Bulga National Park VKFF-0480VK1DI Jerrabomberra Wetlands Nature
Reserve VKFF-0847Bill VK3CWF Lerderderg State Park VKFF-0763Mike VK6MB/p
Brookton Highway Nature Reserve VKFF-1846Col VK5HCF/p Ewens Ponds
Conservation Park VKFF-0796Bryan VK3LF/m Crossover Regional Park
VKFF-0965Tony VK7LTD/p Echo Sugarloaf State Reserve VKFF-1799Angela
VK7FAMP/p Echo Sugarloaf State Reserve VKFF-1799

I then moved to the 20m band where I logged just 2 stations, Andrei ZL1TM
in New Zealand, and Mike VK6MB in the Brookton Highway Nature Reserve
VKFF-1846.

We then tried the 80m band, but as was the case at Encounter Marine Park,
we logged just the one station, Adrian VK5FANA on the Yorke Peninsula with
a good strong 5/9 signal.

To finish off the activation we moved back to 40m and logged a further 15
stations including the following Park to Park contacts..

Nik VK3ZK/p Mt Martha Nature Conservation Reserve VKFF-2152Peter VK3TKK/p
Blacks Creek Nature Conservation Reserve VKFF-2049Brett VK3MCA/p Gobarup
Nature Conservation Reserve VKFF-2095

It was approaching 4.30 p.m. local time and Marija and I decided to pack up
and head home. We had a total of 72 contacts in the log including 28 Park
to Park contacts.

Marija worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK2IO (Blue Mountains National Park VKFF-0041 & VK2/ CT-032)VK3ANL/p (St
Andrews Nature Conservation Reserve VKFF-2195)VK3PFVK5KLVVK3YV/p (Tarra
Bulga National Park VKFF-0480)VK4NHVK4DXAZL4TY/VK4VK2DGVK4KCVK7QPVK1DI
(Jerrabomberra Wetlands Nature Reserve VKFF-0847)VK2UXOVK3MPRVK3CWF
(Lerderderg State Park VKFF-0763)VK6MB/p (Brookton Highway Nature Reserve
VKFF-1846)VK5HCF/p (Ewens Ponds Conservation Park
VKFF-0796)VK2VHVK4AACVK2EEMVK3ZMDVK3LF/m (Crossover Regional Park
VKFF-0965)VK7LTD/p (Echo Sugarloaf State Reserve VKFF-1799)VK7FAMP/p (Echo
Sugarloaf State Reserve VKFF-1799)VK3ZK/p (Mt Martha Nature Conservation
Reserve VKFF-2152)VK3TKK/p (Blacks Creek Nature Conservation Reserve
VKFF-2049)VK3MCA/p (Gobarup Nature Conservation Reserve VKFF-2095)

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3PFVK2IO/p (Blue Mountains National Park VKFF-0041 & VK2/ CT-032)VK3ANL/p
(St Andrews Nature Conservation Reserve
VKFF-2195)VK3SQVK3CUVK2DGVK5KLVVK4NHVK4DXAZL4TY/VK4VK2MG/p (Pambalong
Nature Reserve VKFF-2697)VK3ZPFVK2VHVK4AACVK7QPVK3SXVK3YV/p (Tarra Bulga
National Park VKFF-0480)VK1DI/p (Jerrabomberra Wetlands Nature Reserve
VKFF-0847)VK3CWF/p (Lerderderg State Park VKFF-0763)VK6MB/p (Brookton
Highway Nature Reserve VKFF-1846)VK5HCF/p (Ewens Ponds Conservation Park
VKFF-0796)VK3LF/m (Crossover Regional Park
VKFF-0965)VK4KCVK4FDJLVK5LBVK7FAMP/p (Echo Sugarloaf State Reserve
VKFF-1799)VK7LTD/p (Echo Sugarloaf State Reserve
VKFF-1799)VK5HMBVK4HATVK5AYLVK3ZK/p (Mt Martha Nature Conservation Reserve
VKFF-2152)VK3TKK/p (Blacks Creek Nature Conservation Reserve
VKFF-2049)VK1VICVK1FLEXVK3MPRVK2EXAVK3DJCVK4SYDVK3BWMVK 3OFVK2KYOVK3MCA/p
(Gobarup Nature Conservation Reserve VKFF-2095)

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

ZL1TMVK6MB/p (Brookton Highway Nature Reserve VKFF-1846)

I worked the following station on 80m SSB:-

VK5FANA