Old December 2nd 20, 10:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] QSLs: W5TEN, KF0IN

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

QSLs: W5TEN, KF0IN

Both of these cards arrived yesterday! The QSO with John, KF0IN, was on the
short side due to poor conditions, but I had a nice long chat with Wade,
W5TEN. Theyre both great additions to my collection of QSLs from stations
whose call signs spell words.

The post QSLs: W5TEN, KF0IN appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

Helping New Hams program getting started

Last week, 16 ARRL registered instructors convened to kick offÂ* a new
program to help new hams get into the hobby. We havent really come up with
a snappy name for this program, so Im just calling it Helping New Hams. The
idea is to organize instructors all over the country and spread out the
work. That way, the onus doesnt fall on one or two instructors in a club
who may already be up to their necks in teaching exam classes.

Were focusing really basic topics at first, including:

Having fun with amateur radio: an overview of all the fun things that you
can do inÂ* amateur radioand what kind of gear youll need to participate in
them.
Choosing a first (or second) radio
Programming a VHF/UHF radio using Chirp
Improved antennas for handheld transceivers (telescopic whips, mobile,
roll-up j-pole, …)
Getting on the air (VHF repeater and simplex)

Im going to be presenting a couple of trial runs of Having fun with amateur
radiovia Zoom, of courseon Friday, December 4, at 7:00 pm EST and on
Monday, December 7, at 9:00 pm EST. Id like to invite any and all of you to
attend. To get the Zoom meeting info, send me your email address, and Ill
send you the Zoom meeting info before the session. If you want more
information about what Ill be talking about, you can download the session
outline.

Finally, if youre an instructor and you think that you might like to be
part of this effort, you can subscribe to our mailing list by going to
https://ham-instructor.groups.io/g/NewHams. Im planning on holding a second
organizational meeting on Tuesday, December 8.

The post Helping New Hams program getting started appeared first on KB6NUs
Ham Radio Blog.