Old February 17th 21, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Operating notes: Slow down to bust contest pileup, panadapter helps work DX, HW U?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Operating notes: Slow down to bust contest pileup, panadapter helps work
DX, HW U?

Slow down to bust a contest pileup

In the Minnesota QSO Party last weekend, there was a big pileup trying to
work a station in some remote county. The operator was working about 23 25
wpm, so I replied at that speed. I even sped up a little thinking that I
might be able to slip my call in before the others.

Well, after several unsuccessful calls, and hearing the MN station reply to
several slower stations, I decided to slow down myself. Bingo! I got a
reply to my first call at the slower speed. My guess is that the slower
speed made my call easier to copy and to stand out from the others. I dont
know if this tactic would work in a bigger contest, but Im going to use
this tactic again in a future QSO party.
Panadapter helps work DX

Last night, I was trying to squeeze another QSO out of 40m, but not having
a lot of success calling CQ just below 7030 kHz. Scanning the panadapter, I
saw a lone signal down on 7012 kHz. From the pattern, I guessed that the
station was calling CQ. Sure enough, I tuned down there (actually clicked
on the signal in the panadapter) and found a YV5 calling CQ. We each gave
each other 579 reports, and I had another DX QSO in the log.
HW U?

At the end of the first transmission, its customary to send HW? short for
how copy? Well, if the signals are good, and Ive worked the other station
before and know the operator, Ive started sending HW U? instead. This is
short, at least in my book for, How are you?

This is a little more personal than just HW? and seems to elicit a more
personal response. Its definitely a better conversation starter, and youll
certainly make a better impression on the operator at the other end. Give
it a try. You never know what youll learn.

The post Operating notes: Slow down to bust contest pileup, panadapter
helps work DX, HW U? appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.