Old February 23rd 21, 06:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Operating Notes: Cold shack, contesting for fun, WB0ISG

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Operating Notes: Cold shack, contesting for fun, WB0ISG

This time of year, its cold down in my basement, where my shack is located.
To measure just how cold it is, I stuck a K thermocouple into my Fluke
5-1/2 digit DMM. After a fair amount of settling time, it measured 17.5°C,
or 63.5°F.

Its supposed to be 40 degrees outside today, so maybe the basement will
also warm up a little.
Contesting for fun

I played around a little in last weekends ARRL International DX CW Contest.
I operated for about two hours total, making 40 contacts in 30 different
DXCC entities. This coming weekend, I plan to participate in the South
Carolina QSO Party on Saturday and the North Carolina QSO Party on Sunday.
For more information on upcoming state QSO parties—which are a great way to
get started in contesting because theyre very low stress events—go to the
State QSO Party Challenge Calendar.
WB0ISG keeping his grandfathers call on the air

A couple of days ago, I worked Don, WB0ISG. I was pleasantly surprised when
I looked him up on QRZ.Com that, despite having a call that dates back to
the 1970s, hes a relatively young guy. (These days, Im pleasantly surprised
any time I work someone on CW thats younger than I am.)

As it turns out, WB0ISG was his grandfathers call sign. He writes:

I started out my ham career as KG5LKO, but changed to WB0ISG once I found
my grandpa’s old call. It hadnt been used since 1985, before I was born.
Nice to have it back out in the ether. If you knew my grandpa, please send
me a message. Id love to hear from you.

Don is also a blogger. His site, WB0ISG.Com, includes the following
sections:

Learn the code
QRP is for beginners
Techs on HF
Build your gear
Operate outside

Check it out.

The post Operating Notes: Cold shack, contesting for fun, WB0ISG appeared
first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.