Old March 8th 21, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Operating Notes: Youkits TJ5A problem, one good thing about a dead band

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Operating Notes: Youkits TJ5A problem, one good thing about a dead band

Odd Youkits TJ5A problem

Yesterday, I worked a guy who was running a Youkits TJ5A. I had called CQ
on 7028 kHz, but missed his first replay because he was 700 Hz off
frequency. After I set the RIT to +700 Hz, we began the QSO. On my second
transmission, I mentioned that he was off frequency. He said that yes, he
realized that and that he was having some trouble with his rig, a Youkits
TJ5A. He asked me to stand by while he did something to the radio. When
came back, he was transmitting on frequency (7028 kHz), but he was also
transmitting some kind of spurious signal on 7028.7 kHz. See the panadapter
display at right.

Id never seen anything like this before, and Im wondering if any of you
have. One thought that came to mind is that somehow the sidetone is
modulating his CW signal. Its hard to say, though, because I wasnt able to
find a schematic for the radio.

If any of you know where I might get one, please let me know. Also let me
know if you might have some ideas about how to fix this problem.
One good thing about a dead band

Yesterday, I got on 30 meters in the afternoon. I didnt expect much
activity, and of course, there was very little due to the ARRL SSB DX
Contest. For some reason, my fist just didnt want to cooperate, and I made
quite a few errors. Just for kicks, I tweeted, One good thing about a band
being dead is that no one hears it when you make a mistake calling CQ.

My Twitter followers seemed to like it. That tweet got more replies than
Ive gotten in a while.

The post Operating Notes: Youkits TJ5A problem, one good thing about a dead
band appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.