Old April 11th 21, 06:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default Ham Radio Cameo in AMC's "Halt and Catch Fire"

KC4L is and was assigned. It's been my callsign since it was issued, probably in 1979 (can't remember exactly, other than I got my Extra ticket in Fall 1978).

I am not affiliated with the show and have no idea why they used that sign. It was a real surprise when I watched the episode.

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 9:16:09 AM UTC-7, Patty Winter wrote:
In article ,
Paul W. Schleck wrote:

In Patty Winter writes:

The FCC database says it is:

Thanks for catching that, Patty. I used a secondary source, QRZ, which
gives a cryptic, "This call sign record is unmanaged. No additional
information is available." if you're not logged in. Log in, and you can
see the holder.

I often see people referring to doing a "QRZ.com lookup," and that site
is indeed handy if you want to see what additional information people
have provided about themselves (shack photos, etc.), but for simple
callsign lookups, I use the same site I've used for decades--now available
on the World Wide Web, of course:

http://callsign.ualr.edu/callsign.shtml

Also still available via telnet:

telnet://callsign.ualr.edu:2000

It's a great site because you can search not only by callsign (or
partial callsign if you don't know the whole thing), but also by
name/partial name, ZIP code, etc. Much more flexible than either
the QRZ or FCC front ends to the FCC database.

The link I posted yesterday was to the FCC database, but my initial
search when I watched the show a couple of days ago was on UALR. I
use that site very frequently; in fact, I keep a tab open with it.

Patty