Old March 1st 05, 02:24 AM
Bob Nielsen

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:29:06 -0800, G7TMG wrote:

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 07:56:06 -0800, "G7TMG"
wrote:

snip
/snip

Hi!

No ... as a matter of fact I don't think so. I am inclined to
interpret that paragraph as relating to any restrictions on the use of
the equipment .... not anything to do with the qualifications involved
in getting your licence. (But I am not a lawyer!)

At the end of the day, despite all that has been said, the British
licensing authority (OFCOM) has no jurisdiction in the USA. So as
long as the FCC are happy, that's all that matters! If you clear it
with the FCC and they tell you to go ahead, then I wouldn't worry too
much about anything your UK licence might say!

73,
Walt (G3NYY)

--
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com

FYI Walt & Bob,

I emailed the FCC regarding my operating status being a permanent resident
and I've included the `official` reply below.
Does the line "Operator privileges are those authorized by the alien's
government" apply to the UK BR68 chapter 11 (1) (c) condition I wonder???
Also "Reciprocal Operating Arrangements" sounds like they are referring to
the previous reciprocal permit which is no longer available. Is this info
even up-to-date??

Sections 10 and 11 relate to operation under CEPT, rather than the
reciprocal agreement (the permit is no longer needed but the agreement
is still effective). I am not a lawyer either, but I intepret both
requirements to mean that you will have privileges equivalent to those
authorized by your license (licence?), except of course you will need
to also follow the US rules on frequencies, modes and power levels.
etc. (no SSB on 7075, maximum 150 watts on 30 meters, etc.) Under the
old UK pre-2003 scheme, a B class licensee wouldn't be able to operate
in the US on frequencies below 29.7 MHz, however.

This is getting a little crazy, I feel like I'm going around in circles!

I think the best thing would be to just take the US amateur exams, the cw
test and apply for a nice new vanity callsign. LOL.

In the long run, that would probably make sense since you would have a
shorter callsign than "W7/G7TMT" or "G7TMT/W7" (the reciprocal rules
for Canada specify the latter form, since it is spelled out in a treaty
rather than FCC rules, although I doubt anyone has been cited for a
violation by using the other form). You can still keep your G call, of
course. I don't see any problems with operating under the reciprocal
agreement until you get a US license, however.

73,
Bob, N7XY

Old March 1st 05, 06:36 PM

G7TMG wrote:
: I think the best thing would be to just take the US amateur exams, the cw
: test and apply for a nice new vanity callsign. LOL.

I think you're probably right!

Chris, N0UK, (ex) G4JEC
Old March 1st 05, 10:16 PM
Ragnar Otterstad

I think the best thing would be to just take the US amateur exams, the cw
test and apply for a nice new vanity callsign. LOL.

73's Sholto
G7TMG.
maybe W7/G7TMG or even W7/G7TMG/P

In principle a good idea. Learning morse is ALWAYS a good idea.

But why have you not been in contact with the US national society ARRL ?

73

Rag LA5HE

Life member of ARRL