Old April 13th 05, 05:03 PM
William E. Sabin

Default 14.3175

In Cedar Rapids Iowa I hear a constant warbly signal on 14.3175 upper
sideband, 24/7.

I am not sure if it is local or long distance. It peaks from the South on my
rotary beam. A friend in Cedar Rapids 5 miles away hears it also.

Does anyone else out there hear it also?

Yes or no would be appreciated.

Bill W0IYH

Old April 13th 05, 05:42 PM
Harold E. Johnson

In Cedar Rapids Iowa I hear a constant warbly signal on 14.3175 upper
sideband, 24/7.

I am not sure if it is local or long distance. It peaks from the South on

my
rotary beam. A friend in Cedar Rapids 5 miles away hears it also.

Does anyone else out there hear it also?

Bill, is that it's zero beat frequency? I hear something warbly at 50 Hz
bandwidth and with a 5-600 Hz note at 14.318. Mine seems to peak to the
NorthEast but VERY weak here in NC. Doesn't move my "S" meter a bit. Can't
even hear it in the noise bandwidth when opened up.

Regards
W4ZCB

Old April 13th 05, 05:52 PM
William E. Sabin

Thanks Harold. What you hear is probably something different. I appreciate
your input.

There is some local speculation about a Central or South American source,
but I am uncertain about that.

Bill W0IYH

newsZb7e.15176$8Z6.14849@attbi_s21...

Old April 13th 05, 11:44 PM
John

William E. Sabin wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the fourth harmonic of the TV Color burst frequency.
73, John

Old April 14th 05, 12:53 AM
Harold E. Johnson

Sounds like the fourth harmonic of the TV Color burst frequency.
73, John

Certainly does but my wife was gone for the day and naturally, no TV sets on
in the house. BUT now that you mention it, my beam did peak towards the
neighbors house maybe 400 feet away and they were home.

Regards

W4ZCB

Old April 14th 05, 01:43 AM
William E. Sabin

That would be 3,579.38

Does that sound right?

Thsnks for the suggestion.

Bill W0IYH

Old April 14th 05, 01:45 AM
William E. Sabin

That is an interesting suggestion, 3,579.38 kHz.

Does that sound right?

Old April 14th 05, 05:55 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

William E. Sabin wrote:
That would be 3,579.38

Does that sound right?

3,579.545

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old April 14th 05, 12:35 PM
William E. Sabin

Quite right. Thanks. I can hear the fundamental, second and third harmonics
as well as 14.317. That last one is S7 on my receiver with my beam pointed
South, so it is local in my neighborhood.

Is anyone else hearing the harmonics of 3.5795 ?

Bill W0IYH

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
William E. Sabin wrote:
That would be 3,579.38

Does that sound right?

3,579.545

Old April 14th 05, 01:58 PM
Harold E. Johnson

Is anyone else hearing the harmonics of 3.5795 ?

Bill W0IYH

Bill, I have a little TV set on a different desk in the shack here, maybe
10-12 feet from the radio. With it on, I still can't hear the 4th harmonic
above an "S-0" with the rig on the yagi. If I go to the inverted L, (L
matching network tuned to 40 meters) it comes up a little bit to perhaps a
"S-1".
That represents a level of somewhere around -120 dBm. Maybe less than that
remembering the bandwidth I'm using. Apparently my neighbor is still
asleep, I do NOT hear the signal to the NorthEast that I had yesterday. It
BTW, was no stronger than this one in the shack today.

My homebrew Txcvr is a hamband only, so I can't listen to the other
harmonics, but even the fundamental at 3579 is only an S-3 on the inverted L
(Voltage fed 1/2 wave on 160) with the matching network on 80 meters. That
must be some TV set you're listening to. I remember your article on your
antenna, but don't remember, are you by any chance using open wire line?

Regards
W4ZCB