Old September 18th 05, 12:41 AM
pd

Default MFJ-915

Anybody had any experience with the MFJ-915 RF Isolator. I can't find
anything on its power handling capability or any product reviews. I am
getting RF into my controls when operating on 160 and 80 meters. Any other
experiences with resolution of this problem would be appreciated.
Old September 18th 05, 03:34 AM
Mike Andrews

pd wrote:
Anybody had any experience with the MFJ-915 RF Isolator. I can't find
anything on its power handling capability or any product reviews. I am
getting RF into my controls when operating on 160 and 80 meters. Any other
experiences with resolution of this problem would be appreciated.

I've got one between my transceiver and my tuner, put there to cure
the same problem. It handles 100 Watts with no problem, and the sheet
that comes with it says it handles full legal SSB power. I don't know
about putting 1 KW FM or RTTY into it, though. Maybe someone with a
gallon has tried one.

Excerpt from the sheet that comes with it:

: MFJ-915 RF Isolator Instruction Manual
: MFJ-915 RF ISOLATOR
: 1.8-30 MHz
:
: INTRODUCTION
:
: The MFJ-915 RF Isolator is a 1:1 current balun designed to be placed in line with 50-ohm
: coaxial cable and can be used in fixed station and mobile applications. It is rated at full legal
: SSB power.
:
: The RF Isolator can reduce or eliminate stray RF often found on coax. This stray RF can cause
: burns and other problems with electronic equipment while reducing antenna radiation.
: Installation of an MFJ-915 RF Isolator can increase the efficiency of any amateur station.
:
: The MFJ-915 is made up of 50 ferrite core beads placed on a 13-inch length of RG-303 coaxial
: cable. The coax and SO-239 connectors have Teflon insulation for maximum insulation and life
: of the product. The RF Isolator is enclosed in a Schedule 40 PVC pipe for strength and
: protection.
:
: THEORY OF OPERATION
:
: The RF Isolator can reduce the amount of RF radiating from coax feeding an antenna. Stray RF
: can result in a loss of radiated power from the antenna, which will lead to a reduction in signal
: strength. This loss of power is critical when using a short or otherwise inefficient antenna, and/or
: using very low power.

Mine Just Works. That's plenty good enough.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin