Old September 20th 05, 06:40 PM
Derek Wills

it is frequent for a DXer to make a phone contact and ask the DX
to change to CW (on the same phone frequency) to confirm that mode.
Perfectly acceptable under the rules and is common.

Werl, I dunno about 'common' but I've done it once, in order
to work Tromelin on CW for the first time. And I didn't even
have to ask... FR5ZQ/T had a big 'phone pile-up in the 'phone
part of 20m and I knew that he worked (and preferred) CW - he
was also my first FR/G on CW. I sent my call in CW over the
'phone pile-up and he came right back on that mode. I didn't
wait around to hear what happened after that, but I imagine
that some of the callers started opening drawers looking for
their Morse keys...

Derek
aa5bt

Old September 21st 05, 02:48 PM
Ham op

Better question: Why should the taxpayers rebuild a city that is below
sea level and is on the hurricane bullseye? IMO, this is going to be a
trillion dollar mess. The insurance companies will not have assets
sufficient to rebuild [Chapter 11 ?]. Seventy five percent of the
housing will have to be condemned. Lake Ponchatrain [sp] is being
deliberately polluted by pumping New Orleans sewage and contaminated
water into it. etc. Hospitals and other infrastructure needs total
rebuilding and safety [contamination] certification. The residual mud in
New Orleans is more contaminated than your SEPTIC system. Where does it
go? How is it treated?

Global warming issues are sure to surface. More hurricanes are sure to
arrive. Anything made by humans [AKA levees] will eventually fail.

Democrats will blame the Republicans. Republicans will blame the
Democrats. Poor will blame the rich. Rich will blame the poor. Racism
will surely surface. And, the USA taxpayer will be SLOWLY [.S L O W L Y]
DRAINED OF FUNDS. My estimate is that the cost to you and me will exceed
$3000 for each person, including children, in the USA.

I propose: Rebuild the port, entertainment and the industrial base on
ground that is above sea level. Move residential areas to higher ground.
This will be a ten [+ or -] year rebuilding effort. The cost will be
about the same, but, the probability of another similar disaster will be
lessened.

Having posed the question, I'll now go to chase some DX.