Old September 19th 05, 05:36 PM
Bob

In theory, yes, but "Good amateur practice" would say that if you want
to operate CW you probably should select a frequency that is often used
by other CW operators. Something about informal band plans and
gentlemen's agreements....

Old September 20th 05, 02:01 PM
Ham op

Bob wrote:

In theory, yes, but "Good amateur practice" would say that if you want
to operate CW you probably should select a frequency that is often used
by other CW operators. Something about informal band plans and
gentlemen's agreements....

You mean you have NEVER worked cross mode on any band!!!

Old September 20th 05, 04:36 PM
Caveat Lector

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
In theory, yes, but "Good amateur practice" would say that if you want
to operate CW you probably should select a frequency that is often used
by other CW operators. Something about informal band plans and
gentlemen's agreements....

Indeed - agree, however it is frequent for a DXer to make a phone contact
and ask the DX to change to CW (on the same phone frequency) to confirm that
mode. Perfectly acceptable under the rules and is common.

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old September 20th 05, 06:40 PM
Derek Wills

it is frequent for a DXer to make a phone contact and ask the DX
to change to CW (on the same phone frequency) to confirm that mode.
Perfectly acceptable under the rules and is common.

Werl, I dunno about 'common' but I've done it once, in order
to work Tromelin on CW for the first time. And I didn't even
have to ask... FR5ZQ/T had a big 'phone pile-up in the 'phone
part of 20m and I knew that he worked (and preferred) CW - he
was also my first FR/G on CW. I sent my call in CW over the
'phone pile-up and he came right back on that mode. I didn't
wait around to hear what happened after that, but I imagine
that some of the callers started opening drawers looking for
their Morse keys...

Derek
aa5bt