Old November 28th 05, 07:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Default CQ WW CW - so far

Barry wrote:
Seems the the MUF was way low this weekend. 40 was terrible (and on
Sunday, I had a few great hours mid-afternoon, about 3 hours before
sunset). The worst first hour I've ever had. 80 was excellent, as
was 20. Even 15 never fully opened to Europe, thought Sunday was
better than Saturday.

- I thought 40 was pretty good. Especially Sunday. Got up early to try
to work some JAs at sunrise -- only landed one JA but was surprised to
hear a bunch of Europeans. Worked DQ0Q and G3TXF between noon and 1pm
their local time on 40. There were some interesting deep-Asian signals
in as well (UK9AA, EY8MM, 9N7JO) but I didn't feel like sitting in the
pileups so they didn't make it into the log.

- Yep, 15 sure wasn't at its sunspot-peak best... but it could have
been a LOT worse. No EU heard on 10, I think I did hear a zone 33
station but didn't work them. LU activity seemed down, but the PYs
seemed to make up for it.

- Enjoyed 80. More so Friday night, it was getting noisy Saturday night
and probably would have been a lost cause tonight. (I had to quit 2
hours early & go to work) (heck, when I got home from work about 0600z,
turned on the rig & had trouble copying W6ARQ through the noise on
1950KHz. John is 5km away.....) On the other hand, I think the high
bands were better today.

- 20 was packed. Signals past 14125.

- Noted a number of stations intentionally calling 100-300Hz high as a
pileup-busting technique. It works.

- Managed to swing four QSOs from the mobile. All on 20m and three of
them with Canada. It's surprisingly easy to send intelligible CW with
the UP/DOWN buttons on the microphone of an IC-706.

Station: W9WI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): abunch

160: 22 7 8
80: 94 15 48
40: 142 19 66
20: 409 29 101
15: 184 21 73
10: 36 10 23
Total: 887 101 319 Total Score = 1,023,540

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66