Old December 3rd 05, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Default Directional antenna - recomendation

Seeker wrote:
I would like to get a directional antenna. Yagi or something. But, I don't
have the resources to tune it.

The frequency is 27.145MHz.

Any recommendations where I can get one tuned to this frequency?

While your frequency/application isn't CB, it is in the middle of the CB
band which leaves you with a lot of inexpensive options.

I would think pretty much any CB antenna would work fine. If assembled
according to instructions and installed well away from obstructions,
they should work OK even without tuning. (I seem to recall your
application involves trying to overcome power line noise -- be very
careful about getting your antennas too close to those power lines!)

The tool usually used by CBers to tune their antennas is a SWR meter.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...prodid=MFJ-816 is one example
but there are literally hundreds of options, and any CB or ham radio
shop - or for that matter, Radio Shack
(http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...0 +-+%2449.99)
- should have some.

Many CB radios have built-in SWR meters. Your frequency is between CB
channels 15 and 16. You could borrow a CB with built-in meter and use
it to tune your antenna on one of these CB channels; it would then work
just fine on your frequency.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 07:18 PM
On Topic [email protected] Shortwave 5 November 2nd 05 11:35 AM
ABOUT - Making a SWL Antenna out of 300 Ohm Twin Lead and TV Coax Cable RHF Shortwave 0 October 28th 05 12:22 PM
Help Please! Extremely Poor Reception In Turkey Rich Shortwave 12 December 30th 03 11:43 PM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 04:01 PM