RadioBanter

-   Dx (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/)
-   -   Hams in Prison? (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/85708-hams-prison.html)

Rufus T. Firefly January 4th 06 01:12 AM

Hams in Prison?

I sometimes think up some strange questions that hold my curiosity for
sometime until
I just have to ask someone who might know.
I think I was watching a show on Discovery channel about big prisons, and
the question
occured to be: I wonder if a state of federal prisoner, in for the long
haul, has ever been
granted the priveledge of being able to operate a ham radio in his cell?
I'm sure there's
been a few licenced hams been locked up over the years, and perhaps some
warden
somewhere has been lienient enough to let a guy practice his hobby behind
bars.
Anyone ever heard of such a situation???

Anxiously awaiting replys...

Mike
KD7VRG

Falky foo January 4th 06 01:39 AM

Hams in Prison?

I would very much doubt it, since a ham could communicate with his cronies
outside or try to con other hams. They closely monitor all
incoming/outgoing messages in prison.

Doug Smith W9WI January 4th 06 05:58 AM

Hams in Prison?

Falky foo wrote:
I would very much doubt it, since a ham could communicate with his cronies
outside or try to con other hams. They closely monitor all
incoming/outgoing messages in prison.

In fact, the FCC has recently taken steps to revoke the licenses of some
hams who've been convicted of serious crimes.

But... strangely enough, there's an FM broadcast station licensed to
the Angola State Prison in Louisiana...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Amos Keag January 4th 06 12:57 PM

Hams in Prison?

Won't happen! Reason: Safety and Security.

All outgoing communication is monitored.

AK, Prison Chaplain

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
I sometimes think up some strange questions that hold my curiosity for
sometime until
I just have to ask someone who might know.
I think I was watching a show on Discovery channel about big prisons, and
the question
occured to be: I wonder if a state of federal prisoner, in for the long
haul, has ever been
granted the priveledge of being able to operate a ham radio in his cell?
I'm sure there's
been a few licenced hams been locked up over the years, and perhaps some
warden
somewhere has been lienient enough to let a guy practice his hobby behind
bars.
Anyone ever heard of such a situation???

Anxiously awaiting replys...

Mike
KD7VRG

January 18th 06 03:51 PM

Hams in Prison?

it would be a fun project though. Take one or more prison issue radios,
break for parts... and with skill knowledge and ingenuity, turn it into a
QRP TX/RX for any single ham band

Amos Keag January 19th 06 01:42 AM

Hams in Prison?

wrote:

it would be a fun project though. Take one or more prison issue radios,
break for parts... and with skill knowledge and ingenuity, turn it into a
QRP TX/RX for any single ham band

Most prison.jail radios are standard Commercial Service ICOMs, Yaesus, etc.

January 19th 06 08:52 AM

Hams in Prison?

I meant the little AM ones the 'con's' have.
homebrew harry has made a 160 RX from one...