Old January 4th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Rufus T. Firefly

Default Hams in Prison?

I sometimes think up some strange questions that hold my curiosity for
sometime until
I just have to ask someone who might know.
I think I was watching a show on Discovery channel about big prisons, and
the question
occured to be: I wonder if a state of federal prisoner, in for the long
haul, has ever been
granted the priveledge of being able to operate a ham radio in his cell?
I'm sure there's
been a few licenced hams been locked up over the years, and perhaps some
warden
somewhere has been lienient enough to let a guy practice his hobby behind
bars.
Anyone ever heard of such a situation???

Anxiously awaiting replys...

Mike
KD7VRG

Old January 4th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Falky foo

I would very much doubt it, since a ham could communicate with his cronies
outside or try to con other hams. They closely monitor all
incoming/outgoing messages in prison.

Old January 4th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Falky foo wrote:
I would very much doubt it, since a ham could communicate with his cronies
outside or try to con other hams. They closely monitor all
incoming/outgoing messages in prison.

In fact, the FCC has recently taken steps to revoke the licenses of some
hams who've been convicted of serious crimes.

But... strangely enough, there's an FM broadcast station licensed to
the Angola State Prison in Louisiana...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old January 4th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Amos Keag

Won't happen! Reason: Safety and Security.

All outgoing communication is monitored.

AK, Prison Chaplain

Old January 18th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

it would be a fun project though. Take one or more prison issue radios,
break for parts... and with skill knowledge and ingenuity, turn it into a
QRP TX/RX for any single ham band

Old January 19th 06, 08:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

I meant the little AM ones the 'con's' have.
homebrew harry has made a 160 RX from one...