Old August 10th 03, 05:44 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Default No DX Discussions ?

Well lets stir it up.

When you work an exceptionally weak DX station, do u use ESP?
Is that Extra Sensory Perception or Expected Sensory Perception ??

Is the best filter between your ears ??

Can u really copy CW right down into the noise -- if so why??

Have you ever copied SSB right down into the noise ?? If not why not ??

Do you listen to DX on a Speaker. Are headphones better ??? Which ones --
Com Phones or Hi-Fi

Do you keep the RF Gain at Max?
Or advance the audio gain, then bring up the RF Gain control for APPARENT
improved S/N ratio. Huh how does that work??

Do you use fast AGC or Slow when DXing --- Why ???

Lets solve these and other DX secrets.

And let the rest of the world solve the political issues ON ANOTHER NEWS
GROUP

Old August 11th 03, 01:05 AM
Zoran Brlecic

Keyboard In The Wilderness wrote:

When you work an exceptionally weak DX station, do u use ESP?
Is that Extra Sensory Perception or Expected Sensory Perception ??

What?

Is the best filter between your ears ??

Yes. *After* you pass the signal through the 250-500 Hz second IF
crystal filter.

Can u really copy CW right down into the noise -- if so why??

Because of the extremely narrow bandwidth of the signal. The lower the
information rate, the easier the copying. That's why CW gets through
where speech can't - speech requires more bandwidth due to the higher
information rate. Explained differently, CW transmits all the TX power
on one frequency, while SSB or AM disperses that same amount of power
throughout the entire bandwidth of the signal.

Have you ever copied SSB right down into the noise ?? If not why not ??

Everything can be "copied right down into the noise". It depends on what
your definition of "right down into the noise" is.

Do you listen to DX on a Speaker.

No. Waste of time.

Are headphones better ???

Always.

Which ones -- Com Phones or Hi-Fi

The cheaper, the better. You definitely don't want hi-fi headphones
because they only contribute to the sound in the range outside of the
transmitted speech, i.e. above 3 kHz, which translates into noise.

Do you keep the RF Gain at Max?

Normally, yes.

Or advance the audio gain, then bring up the RF Gain control for APPARENT
improved S/N ratio. Huh how does that work??

Depends on the signal that you're trying to copy, as well as on the
surrounding QRM and QRN.

Do you use fast AGC or Slow when DXing --- Why ???

Neither. AGC is a dynamic compression which compresses all the signals
into a much narrower dynamic audio range. That's great for strong
signals and easy on the ears, but it completely obliterates the weak
ones by "pumping" strong signals, QRM and QRN. You need to turn off AGC
for dxing (and most of contesting), unless you only want to work strong
signals. The drawback is that the full dynamic range is very hard on the
ears because you get a full blast of S9+ signals interspersed with the
barely audible ones.

73 .... WA7AA

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Old August 11th 03, 03:25 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Zoran Brlecic wrote:
Is the best filter between your ears ??

Yes. *After* you pass the signal through the 250-500 Hz second IF
crystal filter.

G!

Depends to some degree on how you work your DX. 250Hz is too narrow for
contesting but probably just about right for pileups.

Do you listen to DX on a Speaker.

No. Waste of time.
Are headphones better ???

Always.

Fully agreed.

Which ones -- Com Phones or Hi-Fi

The cheaper, the better. You definitely don't want hi-fi headphones
because they only contribute to the sound in the range outside of the
transmitted speech, i.e. above 3 kHz, which translates into noise.

Disagreed.

IMHO the most important specification for headphones is physical
comfort. Can you wear them for hours without hurting your ears?

My ears - and the filters in the rig (for which I've paid good money!)
do a pretty good job of filtering out the noise.

I've generally found "communications" phones have an awful lot of ripple
in the audio passband. They tend to sound "tinny" or "bassy" or
otherwise unnatural. Not to mention they're usually heavy and
uncomfortable.

I bought two pair of Labtec LVA-8322's at Dayton a couple of years ago.
($5 each if I remember properly) They're comfortable - sound good -
they've got a boom mike (which keeps getting me great audio reports,
people don't believe me when I tell them what I'm using for a mike!).
One pair sits in the shack, the other I use for DXing the FM broadcast
band. (1,200 stations in 42 states since 1994) Actually, right now I'm
using them to listen to a They Might Be Giants CD... One of the better
bargains I've found at Dayton.

Do you keep the RF Gain at Max?

Normally, yes.

Or advance the audio gain, then bring up the RF Gain control for
APPARENT
improved S/N ratio. Huh how does that work??

I think it does work but only for strong signals. I've done that for
long ragchews with local stations, and it works nicely. Sounds almost
like VHF-FM quality. It's pretty hard to find the "sweet spot" when
working weak or QSB-laden signals though.

Do you use fast AGC or Slow when DXing --- Why ???

Neither. AGC is a dynamic compression which compresses all the signals
into a much narrower dynamic audio range. That's great for strong
signals and easy on the ears, but it completely obliterates the weak
ones by "pumping" strong signals, QRM and QRN. You need to turn off AGC
for dxing (and most of contesting), unless you only want to work strong
signals. The drawback is that the full dynamic range is very hard on the
ears because you get a full blast of S9+ signals interspersed with the
barely audible ones.

Fast.

If I'm going to abuse my hearing, I use the Ramones.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old August 11th 03, 08:48 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Zoran Brlecic wrote:
IMHO the most important specification for headphones is physical
comfort. Can you wear them for hours without hurting your ears?

Well, of course. But that's not what he asked. I use those cheapo $3
headphones that I barely feel on my head. Yes, comfort is everything and
that's one more reason why hi-fi headphones are out, because they simply
have to squeeze your head for a high quality audio. I also tried Heil
headphones once and couldn't believe some people have them on for 48
hours straight. I'd go insane.

On average I've found hi-fi phones more comfortable than the
communications variety.

Used to wear Radio Shack PRO-40s until I got my hands on the Labtecs.
(latter having the advantage of the boom mike, so one can free both
hands for manipulating the equipment)

Old August 11th 03, 12:15 PM
Peter Lemken

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
Zoran Brlecic wrote:
IMHO the most important specification for headphones is physical
comfort. Can you wear them for hours without hurting your ears?

Well, of course. But that's not what he asked. I use those cheapo $3
headphones that I barely feel on my head. Yes, comfort is everything and
that's one more reason why hi-fi headphones are out, because they simply
have to squeeze your head for a high quality audio. I also tried Heil
headphones once and couldn't believe some people have them on for 48
hours straight. I'd go insane.

On average I've found hi-fi phones more comfortable than the
communications variety.

Agreed. And while audio quality is important, comfort is a lot more
important when you spend a couple of hours at the rig. In that respect the
Heil set and other "special" headphones are way too incomfortable and I
cannot discern any advantages over a good HiFi-set in terms of audio
reproduction.

My headphone of choice is the KOSS Porta Pro, which is a very leightweight,
foldable and yet stable headphone with excellent sound quality for any kind
of rig and you can wear it during a lonf contest weekend without suffering
from massive headaches. There is an extra set of rubber foam on the headband
that reduces pressure on one's ear and makes wearing these pure pleasure.

http://www.portabledvdstore.com/kosporpropor.html

I showed these to a couple of active hams, most of them CW ragchewers and
contesters, and by now roughly 30 hams I know have bought the set and are
super happy with it. All of them know the Heil headset and report that it is
vastly inferior in terms of comfort and audio quality.

The only letdown is the fact that you don't want to run a MM-SSB contest ;-)

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin
--
"dass wir keine sklavenarbeit mehr haben zeigt doch, dass der
Marktwirtschaft ueberhaupt kein raum zu ihrer entfaltung gelassen

Old August 11th 03, 01:32 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Used to wear Radio Shack PRO-40s until I got my hands on the Labtecs.
(latter having the advantage of the boom mike, so one can free both
hands for manipulating the equipment)

I have used a foot switch for years -- frees both hands for computer work
and even pencil - paper work.

Leaves one foot for QLF -- hi hi See URL:
http://users.sisna.com/mbignell/qlf.html