Old August 22nd 03, 09:45 PM
Thierry

Default Perseids meteor shower

Hi,

I have written some words about MS in the middle of that page,
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-propa3.htm
where you will find some interest links, among them the radiometeor of
Pierre Terrier that work with a FM radio.
There is a equivalent or so in French at
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/meteor-scatter.htm

73
Thierry
ON4SKY, LX3SKY

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
Most amateur radio meteor scatter work is done on frequencies between
50 MHz and 146 MHz. However, there is some interesting experimental
work that can be done on shortwave too.

I found the following on the ESA web site:

http://solarsystem.estec.esa.nl/METE...eids_2003.html

From 12th-14th August 2003, a team of ESA scientists will listen to
the sound of Perseids meteor shower as sweeping across the night sky.

The annual Perseids meteor shower is expected to reach its peak at
03:30 UT on 13th August. The group from ESA's Research and Scientific
Support Department at ESTEC in the Netherlands will be glued to a
radio receiver and their computer screens.

"For our experiment during night time, we have come to an arrangement
with Merlin Communication, the service provider for the BBC, to
continue their transmissions at 17.64 MHz." said J-Pierre Lebreton.
"They will switch on one of their transmitters the scheduled nights.
We will then use the short-lived meteor ionisation trails as mirrors
to reflect the radio signals. In this way, we hope to be able to
listen to the meteor echoes."

The radio transmission schedule has been optimised for the expected
peaks. One frequency will be listened, the 17640KHz, and will carry a
BBC programme.

The schedule to tune in is:

12th Aug 17640KHz 0300-0400UTC
12th-13th Aug 17640KHz 2000-0500UTC