Old August 28th 03, 07:15 PM

Walter wrote:
I have a Radio shack Dx-394, it has AM, LSB,USB,CW1, CW2.
So I should use USB, and if it claims 14100, I should tune to 13400?

It would be (in USB mode) 14099.3 KHz -- but if your receiver
has CW mode, just enable that and tune to 14100 direct! I'm
listening right now and can hear a couple of the 20-meter
beacons weakly in North Carolina, so propagation is not very
good, as has been the case lately. Good luck!
Ken Kuzenski AC4RD kuzen001 at acpub .duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001
Old August 28th 03, 11:37 PM
Walter

Here is my progress so far...

I can pick up a few of the stations. This maybe normal for this time
of year, and from what I'm told about the solar activity.

From St. Louis Missouri area, I can get the South Africa beacon once
and a while. Same with the Israeli beacon. The Madeira beacon off the
coast of Morocco is the strongest one I can get. I have gotten the
Argentina, and Peruvian one a few times, but not consistently. The
Venezuela comes in the second best after Madeira, and the UN beacon in
New York is a disappointment. I get it, but barely.. I can't get the
rest at all.

I am getting some sort of osculating interference at about 1 second
intervals. It sounds like a cricket chirping. Also something that
sounds like a cell phone ringing, but is this comes and goes. I don't
know if this is normal, or something in my house is generating this..

Thanks for the help!!

(Walter) wrote in message . com...
I have a wire dipole antenna mounted between two maple trees in my
yard.

This allows me to pick up The BBC World Service on 5975 VERY loud,
along with the Atomic Clock on 10000, and 5000.

However I can't seem to pick up any of the NCDXF/IARU Beacons.

http://www.ncdxf.org/beacons.html

I don't know if it is my antenna, interference, the atmosphere, or a
combination that is giving me trouble.

Can anybody else pick these up?

Thanks.

Old August 28th 03, 11:54 PM
Caveat Lector

A surprising number of Hams are unaware of the beacon system.

"Derek Wills" wrote in message
I am getting some sort of osculating interference at about 1 second
intervals.

Some of the digital mode ops like to transmit right on
top of the beacons to make some point or other that is
lost on me!

Derek aa5bt