Old August 29th 03, 10:32 PM
Tom Coates

Default Low-band DX antenna

How much acreage do you have?

Tom, N3IJ

"MarkS" wrote in message
om...
With the downturn in the solar cycle and worse days ahead, I'm faced
with operating on the lower hf bands. 20M has gotten to be very hit
or miss wrt propagation and it seems that more and more dx is
happening on 40 (with some on 30). I have a 40M dipole up about 30 ft
or so, but that really doesn't cut it.

I know that this is like a discussion about "what's the best color",
but what antenna systems will work well on 40M, maybe even 80M, that I
could mount either on the ground or up no higher than 30 ft? I need
to at least get some general direction on this from an experiential
data set rather than starting with the ads in QST or CQ.

Tnx - Mark Sheffield/N0LF

Old August 30th 03, 11:08 PM
Mark Sheffield

Hi Tom - I have a suburban Denver/Boulder lot, about a third of an
acre. I'm not only up against a space problem, but don't have a tree
higher than 35 ft. and then there's the XYL..... - M

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:32:04 -0400, "Tom Coates"
wrote:

How much acreage do you have?

Tom, N3IJ

. com...

Old August 30th 03, 11:08 PM
Mark Sheffield

Hi Tom - I have a suburban Denver/Boulder lot, about a third of an
acre. I'm not only up against a space problem, but don't have a tree
higher than 35 ft. and then there's the XYL..... - M

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:32:04 -0400, "Tom Coates"
wrote:

How much acreage do you have?

Tom, N3IJ

. com...

Old September 2nd 03, 10:13 PM
AK

Mark -
Verticals do work and don't take much space.
The better the ground (I like to roll out fence wire, then cover with dirt
and seed with grass cover.), the better the vertical works. Verts are not
that good for short skip (stateside QSOs), but the further out the DX, the
better verticals work with their natural low angle of radiation (that can
also get into telephones and VCRs). In Ohio days, I used a 44 ft wide
40-meter horizontal monopole (HyGain) on a 40 ft tower. It worked short skip
and DX very well, without the interference problems of a vertical, and
without an RF-hot tower to keep the kids off of. For 80m, I loaded up 30 ft
of insulated tower sections, with some TV mast on top of it (almost a full
1/4 wave), and could work what I could hear. With added coil loading it did
a good job on 160m, but had some high voltage at the base (with the KW on)
that burned up my first base insulators. (Not a good antenna, if kids can
touch it.) Since my move to NC, I'm using a GP - kind of messy, but
probably more efficient than an earth ground for the vertical. (For the
horizontal dipole, the ground is just to give lightning a place to go -
without coming into the house; for the vertical, the ground is half the
antenna and needs to be more than a long ground rod.)

AK

"Mark Sheffield" wrote in message

Hi Tom - I have a suburban Denver/Boulder lot, about a third of an
acre. I'm not only up against a space problem, but don't have a tree
higher than 35 ft. and then there's the XYL..... - M

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:32:04 -0400, "Tom Coates"
wrote:

How much acreage do you have?

Tom, N3IJ

. com...

Old September 2nd 03, 10:13 PM
AK

[...]

wrote:

How much acreage do you have?

Tom, N3IJ

. com...

Old September 4th 03, 02:20 AM
DXer

I also live in a city lot and my tree was only about 35' high. I had very
good luck on 160 M using an inverted L, a 1/4 inverted L.
Fed at the base. You might try something like a 1/4 inverted L for 80 meters.
Get the vertical section as high as you can and then take the horizontal
section to another tree. Mine went over my roof to the front yard tree, not
much hight then 35' either. It worked very well on 80m.
You could try this on 40M as well. If you have no other support for the
horizontal other end, then you could even slope the horizontal end down to a
fence.
Also look into 3/8 or 5/8 wave inverted L. They work even better.
My inverted L, was wire up the tree and over to the front yard tree. Fed at
the base of the vertical section of the wire.
The more radials the better.
73
Craig N0BSA