Old September 2nd 03, 08:54 AM

Default QSL CARD Dimensions ? and FYI

Caveat Lector wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Is it considered bad form to send a QSL card larger than the 3.5x5.5
standard post card size? I haven't been able to find any inkjet postcard
stock in anything but a 4.25 x 5.5 and I've wanted to print my own.
Tnx

... The IARU Region 2 has suggested the following dimensions as optimum:
Height 3-1/2 inches [90 mm] Width 5-1/2 inches [140 mm] ...

Same here in old Europe, and if you send cards via bureau, it is best
to keep close to these dimensions because the cards may be bundled, and
what is larger, may be damaged. Also, some bureaux (DL, for instance)
use sorting machines. DARC recommends cards between 85 mm x 135 mm
and 105 mm x 150 mm, paper weight 170 to 220 gram/square meter. Still,
in my experience 160 gram/square meter is OK.
For cards sent by mail, just keep to the dimensions recommended by the
postal administration. However, keep in mind that some people collect
QSL cards in albums with standard-size (whatever that is) pockets.

You can always cut your cards yourself from available stock. Maybe consider
using an older, but rugged laser printer even if it is only monochrome.

73, Jan-Martin

Old September 2nd 03, 04:58 PM

L. M. Rappaport wrote:
I lay my QSLs out, 4 to a page, so only 3 cuts are necessary
to cut them out of an 8.5x11" page, and the Rotatrim will take

I was thinking about doing the same thing - making my own qsls ..
ink, it turned out that it was much cheaper to buy them preprinted and
apply labels with the qso info on them.

Larry, that's absolutely true and I should have mentioned
it in my own post on the subject: Rolling your own QSLs
is NOT cheaper, at least not for me, than buying nice ones
from a commercial printer. I just do it because I enjoy
having special ones--I'll do a special batch just for a
big contest, for instance. And I enjoy having designs
that nobody else has (probably). But you're dead right,
it's NOT cheaper than buying them! 73!

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD kuzen001 at acpub .duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001