Old September 11th 03, 05:10 PM
Caveat Lector

Default Do You Use A Linear On The WARC Bands ? A Poll

In another NG, someone claimed that he did not know a single Amp owner that
used their linear on the WARC bands. I know many DXers that do particularly
on 12 and 17M, so lets see what this group has to say.

On 12M and 17M have you ever used your Linear ??

On 30M the power is limited to 200 Watts as we all know -- but modern amps
will tune up on 30M and one can drive it to 200 Watts (CW and FSK Only) and
still be in limits. Not all exciters are 100 Watts! Have you ever done
this??

Me -- you betcha red ryder -- I use an AL-80B on the WARC bands -- 12M and
17m when I have to.
Don't use it on 30m tho.
Vertical here -- need all the help I can get.

But have worked DXCC-QRP -- so I have done QRP to QRO - hi hi.
--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All

Old September 11th 03, 05:22 PM

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
[...]

Just for record, I was the wide guy who made a disparaging comment about
amps on the WARC bands and starting this whole thing I'm afraid. My comments
were an attempt at irony directed at:
1) CB amps that spray RF 10KHz in all directions (up, down, and for all
I know into undreamed of directions)
2) Overmodulated amplified signals (results similar to the above; often
combined with the above)
3) Folks who run amps when rag chewing when they are not necessary (If
your QSO partner tells you that you are "40 over 9" it seems reasonable to
me to reduce the power and take up less bandwidth).

I have a 1 KW amp and use it on 17 and even 12 on occasion. If the guy you
are trying to work can't copy me, I use the amp. I'm sure every amp owner
does the same thing. This is NOT the same as automatically cranking you the
power every time one turns on the rig - and that was the (attempted) point
of my original message.

73

Paul AB0SI

Old September 11th 03, 05:36 PM
Caveat Lector

Very good Paul -- I agree with all of your comments

Thanks for the post.

QRP to QRO -- use prudently - sez the FCC and all responsible hams.

--
-----------------------------------

Old September 11th 03, 07:18 PM
Caveat Lector

Ah Sir Walter -- dully noted on UK 30M power level -- but what is the max
over there ??

Your LaJolla, CA Contact
Just A Signal In The Noise these days
ANON out of necessity

--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All
"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:10:09 -0700, "Caveat Lector"
wrote:

On 30M the power is limited to 200 Watts as we all know -- but modern

amps
will tune up on 30M and one can drive it to 200 Watts (CW and FSK Only)

and
still be in limits. Not all exciters are 100 Watts! Have you ever done
this??

Would you please bear in mind that this is an international newsgroup.
USA power regulations do not apply worldwide. In the United Kingdom,
for example, the power on 30m is not limited to 200 watts.

Thank you for your consideration.

73 de G3NYY

--
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com

Old September 12th 03, 12:07 AM
K7SAM

Nope, the 'ole Yaesu FL-2100B won't go there, so, that takes care of that
little problem.