Old September 13th 03, 04:05 PM
Dealmeister

Default Noise & UTE Dxing question

Two questions:

1. I like to surf the web while Dxing; my computer creates a lot of noise.
Too DX and surf, obviously the radio and PC need to be in relatively close
proximity. Anythoughts on how I can cut down the noise?

2. Can anyone recommend a good decoder? Years ago I used the AEA PK-232.
These days I'd like to buy a decoder that covers as much of the used formats
as possible. Key for me will be simplicity though. I don't want something
with a manual or operation that's so technical it won't be fun. I want
something that is as "plug and play" as possible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks

Old September 13th 03, 05:12 PM
Caveat Lector

"Dealmeister" wrote in message
m...
Two questions:

1. I like to surf the web while Dxing; my computer creates a lot of

noise.
Too DX and surf, obviously the radio and PC need to be in relatively close
proximity. Anythoughts on how I can cut down the noise?

I solved the problem by using a Toshiba Laptop.
Laptops by design can be well shielded and some like the Toshiba are.
And laptops have an LCD screen eliminating the CRT noise problem, otherwise
see

Computer noise abatement at URL;
http://ac6v.com/comprfi.htm

2. Can anyone recommend a good decoder? Years ago I used the AEA PK-232.
These days I'd like to buy a decoder that covers as much of the used

formats
as possible. Key for me will be simplicity though. I don't want something
with a manual or operation that's so technical it won't be fun. I want
something that is as "plug and play" as possible.

Your computer can decode digital signals -- for software see URL:
MixW Software
http://www.nvbb.net/~jaffejim/mixwpage.htm
Does:
SSB
CW
AM
BPSK/BPSK63
QPSK
FSK31
RTTY any speed any shift
Packet (VHF) & (UHF)
Pactor RX
AMTOR RX & FEC TX
MFSK/Graphics Color/BW
Throb
MT63
Hellschreiber
FAX
SSTV
Others at URL:
http://ac6v.com/software.htm#DIGITAL

--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All

Old September 14th 03, 06:21 AM
Dave, AA6YQ

There are many possible sources of RF leakage -- did you assemble this PC
yourself, or did you purchase it as a system?

You can try the shotgun approach -- wrap the main unit and monitor in
grounded aluminum foil and place ferrite cores on all of its cables --
mouse, keyboard, monitor, AC, etc. If this knocks down the RF, then remove
each item one at a time to identify the culprit. Be careful; sometimes there
is more than one culprit.

Back in the early 90's, the only way I could use my Commodore Amiga for
logging was to wrap the main unit in aluminum foil and fabricate cable
shields from aluminum foil. As this was supposedly an FCC class B certified
device!

For what its worth, every Dell PC I've purchased over the subsequent years
has been RF quiet, as have the Eizo (ex-Nanao) CRT and Plasma monitors I use
with them.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Old September 14th 03, 06:21 AM
Dave, AA6YQ

[...]

Noise and Loops Question Tony Angerame Antenna 4 August 24th 04 10:12 PM
160 Meter noise Metalhead Antenna 4 January 20th 04 03:08 PM
Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM
Noise and UTE Dxing question Dealmeister Antenna 4 September 13th 03 10:32 PM
Automatic RF noise cancellation and audio noise measurement JGBOYLES Antenna 25 August 11th 03 01:07 AM