RadioBanter

-   Dx (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/)
-   -   Contests ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/8907-contests.html)

Torbjørn Morka September 15th 03 01:20 AM

Contests ?

On 7Mhz band i hear many stations having contests. Pitty, but only short
qso's seems possible, and not easy to get trough with only 45watts and a
wire-dipole...

It si a whole lot easier on the 11m band !
I mean the guys in front of the mic is allways gentle when they hear you. A
shame that it seems unlike the "ham's" are the same kind :-(

73' de torbjorn, la6wla
--
teplace raw with on, for replying...

Dee D. Flint September 15th 03 03:11 AM

"Torbjørn Morka" wrote in message
On 7Mhz band i hear many stations having contests. Pitty, but only short
qso's seems possible, and not easy to get trough with only 45watts and a
wire-dipole...

It si a whole lot easier on the 11m band !
I mean the guys in front of the mic is allways gentle when they hear you.

shame that it seems unlike the "ham's" are the same kind :-(

73' de torbjorn, la6wla
--
teplace raw with on, for replying...

If you want a long QSO, you need to look for the people who are not
contesting or call CQ so that those who are not contesting can find you.

People in contests are trying to get the maximum number of contacts so they
won't be interested in long QSOs.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Caveat Lector September 15th 03 03:11 AM

By Gentle Persons agreement -- contests are not conducted on the WARC Bands
12M, 17M, and 30M.

Most contests are on a weekend so bands are contest free 5 days a week
(mostly), so if contests bother you on the weekend --
-- try the WARC Bands.

Also (generally) the contesters are on the lower to middle parts of the
band, so tune up at the upper limit of the band for QSO's

Many times during a contest, I have heard QSO's at the upper portions of the
bands.

Many have worked DXCC-QRP (5 Watts with a vertical) so different problem.

--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All

Steve Silverwood October 12th 03 11:43 PM

In article ,
says...
On 7Mhz band i hear many stations having contests. Pitty, but only short
qso's seems possible, and not easy to get trough with only 45watts and a
wire-dipole...

It si a whole lot easier on the 11m band !
I mean the guys in front of the mic is allways gentle when they hear you. A
shame that it seems unlike the "ham's" are the same kind :-(

If you're interested in carrying on an extended conversation, you can
always call "CQ Ragchew" on phone, or "CQ RCC" (RCC = Rag Chewers Club)
on CW. During a contest, you might just call CQ and mention that you're
not in the contest and would like a chat. You may still get some
contesters that would like to work you just to get the points for the
contest -- after all, from our point of view in the states you're the
DX. You can also come on about an hour before the contest is due to
end, hand out points for the short QSOs and mention now and again that
you'll be on the air at the end of the contest if anyone would like to
wind down with a nice chat after it's all said and done....

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA