Old September 16th 03, 05:10 PM

Default What's This Noise On 20M?

Hi gang -

I recently returned to 20M CW and am hearing a noise
reminiscent of the old "Russian Woodpecker", only
with a faster repetition rate. It seems to move
around the low end of the CW band and isn't locally
generated because I can hear propagation effects on
it.

Or are these old ears hearing things?

73 Don K6LTS

Old September 16th 03, 06:00 PM
Caveat Lector

Lots of digital signals on the bands these days -- To hear the various modes
and sounds go to URL:

http://rover.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~s.../DIG_intro.htm

P.S. Worked for HP also - 21 years -- Santa Clara Div
--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All

Old September 16th 03, 10:49 PM

Caveat Lector wrote:
Lots of digital signals on the bands these days -- To hear the various modes
and sounds go to URL:

http://rover.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~s.../DIG_intro.htm

Thanks; what I'm hearing is on the "Ionosondes, chirpsounders & OTHR
systems page...SUPER DARN OTHR SYSTEM. I didn't realize anyone was
running OTHR (Over The Horizon Radar) any longer since the "Woodpecker"
went QRT.

Don K6LTS

Old September 17th 03, 12:21 AM
Caveat Lector

Yep I remember the OTHR woodpecker -- Kenwood even designed a noise blanker
for it (I think)

Haven't heard any thing like it since (Thank Goodness)

Old September 17th 03, 02:00 AM
Derek Wills

I remember the OTHR woodpecker -- Kenwood even designed a noise blanker
for it (I think). Haven't heard any thing like it since (Thank Goodness)

That will seem completely innocuous if BPL is approved..

Derek aa5bt.

Old September 17th 03, 02:42 AM
Hank Oredson

"Derek Wills" wrote in message
I remember the OTHR woodpecker -- Kenwood even designed a noise blanker
for it (I think). Haven't heard any thing like it since (Thank Goodness)

That will seem completely innocuous if BPL is approved..

Derek aa5bt.

That radar runs S9 + 40 here when the MUF is right at 20M.
Just about what I expect from BPL.

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

Noise and Loops Question Tony Angerame Antenna 4 August 24th 04 10:12 PM
Spectrum Analyzer Bill B. Antenna 9 May 4th 04 03:56 PM
160 Meter noise Metalhead Antenna 4 January 20th 04 04:08 PM
Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM
Automatic RF noise cancellation and audio noise measurement JGBOYLES Antenna 25 August 11th 03 01:07 AM