Old September 23rd 03, 03:08 PM
Spurious Noise

Default Hi Tension Lines and Ham Radio

Can't address the first two but for number 3.
I had a home a coupla hundred feet away from hi tension towers and it was a
nightmare plus.

I was not a ham when we moved in but I noticed lines across the TV video on
the lower channels all the time
and buzz in the TV audio. Annoying but not unusual in the days of rooftop TV
antennas.

It got and very severe when the insulators got damp. In fact at times during
the night one could see a blue arc discharge across the insulators.

When I got my ham ticket, I found S9+10 dB of noise was typical on the 160,
80, 40m bands (unusable for the most part)

Less noise up the spectrum but awful at times. Later when a got a small
triband beam, I would rotate the antenna 90 degrees away from the power
lines to reduce the noise and hope some of my signal got to Europe -- hi hi.

The power company would wash down the lines on occasion when I squawked, but
the noise would soon return.

When we moved to a new noise free (underground utilities) location, couldn't
believe the difference.

Take a portable SWL receiver and check the noise at various frequencies and
areas of the location.

But the noise could be in a "quiet period' i.e., clean and dry insulators.

Your noise may vary as others have reported no problem.

I will never again move in anywhere near these spectrum blasters.

--
73 from The Spurious Noise
"jj" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I am a ham looking for a home. I found one that interests me, except
that it is about 600 feet from high tension lines. I am trying to
determine whether I should be concerned about this. There are three
potential issues that I can think of:

1.) Possible excessive exposure to low-frequency magnetic fields.

2.) Even if there is no significant exposure, the resale value of the
property may be affected if other buyers are concerned if/when I turn
around to sell it.

3.) Radio noise. I would imagine that any arcing along the system
would wreak havoc on my enjoyment of weak-signal dx.

Any and all comments appreciated.

-JJ