Old September 29th 03, 02:33 PM
Joop Stakenborg

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:20:26 +0000, Peter Lemken wrote:

I particularly applaud them for providing a working Linux client, together
with the source code. With that, it should be easy to integrate LOTW into
other log applications, either natively or as a plug in.

Have you studied the license under which LoTW is distributed? I am unsure
whether linking against their libraries is allowed at all:

5. Products derived from or including this software may not use "Logbook
of the World" or "LoTW" or any other American Radio Relay League,
Incorporated trademarks or servicemarks in their names without prior
written permission of the ARRL.

So I would have to ask permission to link against the LoTW libraries? So
much for distributing source-code.

If only they would have picked a more sensible license, I might have
started using LoTW. Their license rules kindof suck, read the LICENSE file
included with the source code.

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

Joop, PG4I
Old September 29th 03, 04:56 PM
Peter Lemken

Joop Stakenborg wrote:
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:20:26 +0000, Peter Lemken wrote:

I particularly applaud them for providing a working Linux client, together
with the source code. With that, it should be easy to integrate LOTW into
other log applications, either natively or as a plug in.

Have you studied the license under which LoTW is distributed? I am unsure
whether linking against their libraries is allowed at all:

5. Products derived from or including this software may not use "Logbook
of the World" or "LoTW" or any other American Radio Relay League,
Incorporated trademarks or servicemarks in their names without prior
written permission of the ARRL.

So I would have to ask permission to link against the LoTW libraries? So
much for distributing source-code.

I actually read the license before the posting and stumbled upon this
paragraph. However, please see that it refers to the *name* of a product you
actually want to use, it is a trademark restriction, not a copyright
restriction. In a previous paragraph you will find that the source
can freely distributed and *modified*, and that's what counts.

If only they would have picked a more sensible license, I might have
started using LoTW. Their license rules kindof suck, read the LICENSE file
included with the source code.

I feel you may want to read it again from a different angle. As far as I can
see, there are no restrictions of use, either as plugins or integration into
a new product, quite on the contrary.

The introductory sentence makes this rather clear:

"Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
met"

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

--
Mail an die im From: angegebene Adresse stellt eine Beauftragung zur
Überprüfung der Mailfunktion des Absenders dar und wird mit einer

Old September 29th 03, 07:23 PM

On 29 Sep 2003 15:56:18 GMT, Peter Lemken wrote:
Joop Stakenborg wrote:
[...]

- hmm... sorta BSDish, isn't it? at least the source is available! this
should help adoption by the Linux/BSD crowd?

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

Old September 30th 03, 09:09 AM
Dave, AA6YQ

re "easy to integrate LOTW into other log applications" -- where's the
documented, public API?

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

"Peter Lemken" wrote in message
Hank Oredson wrote:
About 6500 log entries, and 20 hits.

But it is simply too complex to use ... they gotta fix that.

I believe they have found a good compromise between security, complexity

and
ease of use.

I particularly applaud them for providing a working Linux client, together
with the source code. With that, it should be easy to integrate LOTW into
other log applications, either natively or as a plug in.

There is no other way than a digital certificate to positively and

uniquely
identifiy a participant, but in a couple of years we will all have a

digital
identity and sending in snail mail to verify one's existence will no

longer
be necessary.

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

Old September 30th 03, 10:10 AM
Peter Lemken

Dave, AA6YQ wrote:
re "easy to integrate LOTW into other log applications" -- where's the
documented, public API?

In the source code?

Peter Lemken
DF5JT