RadioBanter

-   Dx (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/)
-   -   Contest QSL (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/8985-contest-qsl.html)

[email protected] October 6th 03 03:29 AM

Contest QSL

One more newbie question. I worked several contacts with the CA QSO party
last night. With the multiples of contacts being made, is it considered bad
form to send a QSL card? Because I'm new, I'm sending out SASE to get some
"starter" cards. With some individuals making hundreds of contacts, I would
imagine QSL requests could be quite an undertaking. Thanks for your input.

Zoran Brlecic October 6th 03 07:15 AM

wrote:

One more newbie question. I worked several contacts with the CA QSO party
last night. With the multiples of contacts being made, is it considered bad
form to send a QSL card?

It is *never* considered a bad form to ask for a QSL. Most people will
reply, especially if you use a direct/SASE method.

Because I'm new, I'm sending out SASE to get some
"starter" cards. With some individuals making hundreds of contacts, I would
imagine QSL requests could be quite an undertaking.

Some of them rationalize their not QSL-ing with this old excuse, yes.
Don't let this stop you.

73 ... WA7AA

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Spurious Noise October 6th 03 08:30 AM

Working contests are a good way to get new DXCC countries or USA States.
Most contesters will QSL.
But keep in mind that they receive hundreds of QSL requests --
so an SASE to US Stations and IRC's or green stamps ($1) to
overseas with an SAE. Some countries require more -- see URL:
http://www.qsl.net/n6dhz/irc-chart.html

However a less expensive way for QSLing for outside the USA is the ARRL
Bureaus -- see URL:
http://ac6v.com/callbooks.htm#BURRO

More on QSLing at URL:
http://www.ac6v.com/qslmisc.htm

--
73 From the Spurious Noise ';';;';x":.,";"'

K7SAM October 6th 03 01:56 PM

It is never bad to request a card. We all have to start our collection some
place and QSO parties are a good place to pick up new states.

An SASE is the appropriate for sure.

Most of the contest folks will answer, some won't of course. One thing that
can help is to jot a note saying something to the effect - "Thanks for my
first California contact" or "Thanks for my first XXXX county contact in
California". When they are the first contact for someone they seem to
respond more favorably, they usually realize it is special to you and you
have taken the time to send a card and SASE so it is worth their time to get
one back to you.

Good luck and happy card hunting. Remember, once you get card fever it can
become addictive.

Hans K0HB October 8th 03 07:50 PM

wrote

One more newbie question. I worked several contacts with the CA QSO party
last night. With the multiples of contacts being made, is it considered bad
form to send a QSL card? Because I'm new, I'm sending out SASE to get some
"starter" cards. With some individuals making hundreds of contacts, I would
imagine QSL requests could be quite an undertaking. Thanks for your input.

It is never bad form to send QSL's, and especially because you're
thoughtful and making it easy by including SASE. Most contest
stations are pretty good QSL'ers because they know a lot of their
contacts during contests are from casual operators looking to get QSL
cards for awards, etc. They want to keep those casual operators happy
and coming back in future contests.

73, de Hans, K0HB