Old October 6th 03, 03:29 AM

Default Contest QSL

One more newbie question. I worked several contacts with the CA QSO party
last night. With the multiples of contacts being made, is it considered bad
form to send a QSL card? Because I'm new, I'm sending out SASE to get some
"starter" cards. With some individuals making hundreds of contacts, I would
imagine QSL requests could be quite an undertaking. Thanks for your input.
Old October 6th 03, 08:30 AM
Spurious Noise

Working contests are a good way to get new DXCC countries or USA States.
Most contesters will QSL.
But keep in mind that they receive hundreds of QSL requests --
so an SASE to US Stations and IRC's or green stamps ($1) to
overseas with an SAE. Some countries require more -- see URL:
http://www.qsl.net/n6dhz/irc-chart.html

However a less expensive way for QSLing for outside the USA is the ARRL
Bureaus -- see URL:
http://ac6v.com/callbooks.htm#BURRO

More on QSLing at URL:
http://www.ac6v.com/qslmisc.htm

--
73 From the Spurious Noise ';';;';x":.,";"'

Old October 6th 03, 01:56 PM
K7SAM

It is never bad to request a card. We all have to start our collection some
place and QSO parties are a good place to pick up new states.

An SASE is the appropriate for sure.

Most of the contest folks will answer, some won't of course. One thing that
can help is to jot a note saying something to the effect - "Thanks for my
first California contact" or "Thanks for my first XXXX county contact in
California". When they are the first contact for someone they seem to
respond more favorably, they usually realize it is special to you and you
have taken the time to send a card and SASE so it is worth their time to get
one back to you.

Good luck and happy card hunting. Remember, once you get card fever it can
become addictive.

Old October 7th 03, 12:46 AM
Larry Johnson

Watch it! You'll be accused of being no better than a "Postcard
Collector" here on this NG if you keep that up!
LJ