Old October 15th 03, 08:34 PM
Peter Dougherty

Default I warned everyone this would happen. 73 Magazine Says "73 and QRT"

N8KDV said :

Wouff Hong wrote:
They don't care about ham
radio. They want to stay stupid! Having a ham license doesn't mean anything
to them because they didn't have to put in any effort to get it. It was
handed to them.

HA. The ARRL plan to support dumbing down ham radio is going to back-fire on
them. Heee Heee. They put free licenses in people hands but those people
aren't buying memberships. QST will be going the way of 73! HA. Hiram
Maxim is turning over in his grave.

Ain't it the truth.

It ain't. 73 magazine's demise can be attributed to both the economic
times in which we are mired as well as the electronic-publishing era.

In the heyday of dead-tree magazines we didn't have this vast
worldwide resource replete with Yahoo Groups, Usenet (at least not as
it is now), mailing lists/reflectors, etc, etc. We needed things like
QST, CQ, 73, et al as a good source of news and reviews, etc.

Times have changed. Life's a bitch. Deal with it or embrace Father
Darwin and the Evolver.

For those who only long for the Good Olde Days of vacuum tubes,
homebrewing tranceivers, 20+ WPM CW, etc, my question is simple: At
what year do you want the technology clock to become frozen? If so,
will you kindly give me your computers, home entertainment centres,
digital TVs, satellite broadcast receivers, new cars, etc? When time
catches up with you, will you refuse medical treatments based on
scientific advances made in the years following the point beyond which
you refuse to evolve?

Sorry, time marches on, technology advances. Unfortunately, in our
hobby, it's advanced beyond the point that most people can
troubleshoot or repair down to the component level. So, our hobby must
now look at ways it can thrive in this era or $99 palm-sized
transceivers that cover DC-to-daylight. We do this be learning new
things, developing new technologies and find ways of merging our hobby
with other technologies.

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net