Old January 5th 04, 09:08 AM

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:22:33 -0500, "Richard Eckman"
wrote:

I would seriously doubt that there is any law (in the US) that makes this
practice illegal. Amateur radio operators are hardly the only group that
barters IRCs. Do a Google search on "International Reply Coupons Barter" and
you'll see that this is a very common practice. I'm worried about a lot of
things, but not about a visit from the Post Office Police!

Rich Eckman KO4MR
Hampton, VA

For that matter, is there even a law that says I can't buy
$0.37 stamps at the PO and sell them for a buck? It certainly doesn't
seem to be a problem for third party stamp machines that take a cut
for the convenience of not having to go to the PO.

Old January 5th 04, 04:26 PM
Wes Stewart

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:37:22 -0500, "John Passaneau"
wrote:

|Gee Guys:
|
|All I wanted was someone to sell me some IRC's!

Heh heh. See what a mess you started.

|So again does anyone have some for sale?

I think he sometimes reads this group but hasn't spoken up so he may
not have any, but you might try KU9C.

Old January 5th 04, 04:26 PM
Wes Stewart

Old January 5th 04, 06:32 PM
Phil - N1KI

I don't think it is called illegal, I think it is called capitalism. QSL
managers must put their time and effort into checking logs, filling out cards,
stuffing envelopes, etc. I always include a little extra beyond postage to
help defray some of the managers' costs, and I certainly do not expect them to
send me any change. If you provide an IRC to pay for first class postage, why
should you care whether the manager pays postage out of his pocket and then
sells the IRC to another person as long as you get your card?

Derek may be a little opinionated (and I usually agree with his opinions) and
outspoken, but I certainly would not call him unethical. Instead of slamming
these guys, we should be thanking them for making confirming contacts so much
easier.

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" wrote:

"Derek Wills" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy some IRC's. I'm mainly interested in
the new larger size ones. Does anyone have some to sell?

Best bet is the Post Office. Though in some areas you'll
have to get them to special order them.

I disagree - why pay $1.75 at the PO when QSL managers will
sell them for 80c to $1 each? The poster did the right
thing by asking here. Also try QSL managers of recent
expeditions or managers of busy stations. I sold my last
lot for 80c each, but now that I'm not an active manager
I'm hanging on to my last 100 or so for my own QSLing.

And where do the QSL managers get them so cheap? From hams who send them?
Why aren't the QSL managers using them as intended, that is to send a QSL
direct to the ham that provided that IRC and the envelope. Are the QSL
managers keeping the IRCs and sending the QSLs via the bureau? That would
be quite unethical.

One of the perks of being a QSL manager is that you get a
steady supply of IRCs, but I wouldn't do it just for that!

There shouldn't be any IRCs left over for the manager. The hams who send
them are doing so to get direct QSL responses. So how do you have an
excess??

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Spammers - reply freely and often to my e-mail address
Everyone else - look me up on qrz.com

Peace - Those rare moments in history when everyone is rearming....

Old January 5th 04, 06:49 PM
dvari

Here-Here I agree,and while we're at it,lets stop beating this dead horse?
ttyl de dave-n2rhl

Flint" wrote:

[...]

Klein formaat IRC's nog inwisselbaar ? arie Antenna 2 June 30th 04 10:03 AM
Klein formaat IRC's nog inwisselbaar ? arie Antenna 0 June 30th 04 08:52 AM
WTB IRC's John Passaneau Dx 0 November 3rd 03 02:17 PM
WTB IRC's John Passaneau Dx 0 November 3rd 03 02:17 PM