Old January 24th 04, 07:32 AM
9V1GO

Default S+P for me, no more CQ

After a few months trying to hand out 9V on 160m CW (as well as 80 40 and
30) I have given up on calling CQ when there is propagation to Europe. In
one of the ARRL Rate Sheet mailings it was said that DX stations are being
forced to do this more and more as the DX spots bring a hoard of stations
calling that can't really hear the DX, but hope for a miracle of changing
conditions.

Couldn't agree more!

Here in the tropics we have a constant noise level of at least S6 day and
night and that's on good days, it can go well over the 9 mark. Top that up
with static crashes well over the noise level and it is a mess. Now, take
deep QSB fades the usually come with Top Band openings and things get even
more interesting.

Having lived in Europe for many years and operated Top Band from several
countries, I know how undisciplined the hoard can be. The term Lid Pile has
been coined to describe the constant calling and calling and calling no
matter how many KN's are sent after a partial bubbles out of the noise and
you are trying to get the whole call. (I call it alphabet soup) Couple that
with the above conditions and it is enough to make anybody give up. So
Search and Pounce, call when they call CQ, wait until sunrise and try to
make it to North America long path, work a sked or two.....but very seldom
call CQ on Top Band or 80 metres....and never on 30.......when Europe is
hanging about. The JA's will standby, the USA will also because it is
mostly big guns that hear me anyway....Europe, what a cat fight!!!!!

My 2 cents worth.

73 and good DX!

Bob (Searchin' and Pouncin' in Singapore)
Robert Marshall-Read
9V1GO G4VGO EI7IU SV0BV
Web www.qls.net/g4vgo

Old January 24th 04, 04:56 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

One famous DXer -- calls CQ and works several stations -- then when the DX
spotting networks put em on the clusters -- he changes frequencies --
sometime bands -- sometimes modes -- most of the "Lid Pile" won't have a
clue as what to do next. But an experienced DXer will !!

Another famous DXer -- sez -- listening up 10 and really listens up
5kHz -- savvy DXers will catch on to this while the "Lid Pile" shouts
themselves silly at 10 up.

Search and pounce is a good technique. Experienced DXers will know what is
going on and move up a kHz or two and call you.

My IRC's worth -- hi hi
--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Old January 25th 04, 04:31 AM
9V1GO

"Keyboard In The Wilderness" wrote in message
newsAwQb.59447$zs4.26480@fed1read01...
One famous DXer -- calls CQ and works several stations -- then when the DX
spotting networks put em on the clusters -- he changes frequencies --
sometime bands -- sometimes modes -- most of the "Lid Pile" won't have a
clue as what to do next. But an experienced DXer will !!

Another famous DXer -- sez -- listening up 10 and really listens up
5kHz -- savvy DXers will catch on to this while the "Lid Pile" shouts
themselves silly at 10 up.

Search and pounce is a good technique. Experienced DXers will know what is
going on and move up a kHz or two and call you.

My IRC's worth -- hi hi
--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Good idea...may try that. I can't change bands as that means taking down
one antenna and putting up another out the 11th floor window. But,
listening all over the shop could be worth a try. It will cause chaos
around the transmit frequency, but if I can get a few of the "good DX'ers"
in the log, then it will be worth it.

BTW, 30 DXCC and four new ones so far in the CQ 160 CW last night.

73 and thanks for the advice.

Bob 9V1GO