Old February 14th 04, 05:45 PM
Thierry

Default pro and cons FT-1000MP in DXing or pile-ups ?

Hi,

In order to complete my last page devoted to a review of the Yaesu FT-1000MP
Mark-V available next week on my website
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/menu-qsl.htm
I would like to know the opinion of users in a few words, mainly those
readers fan of DXing and pile-ups.

If you used this Mark-V for more than one year, I would like that you draw
me the main positive and negative points you noticed on this model in a few
words. Personnaly I think to the next points, but they are probably 5 to 10
more (to complete) :

The "plus" of the FT-1000MP Mark-V a

200W PEP out

75 W Class A for Hi-Fi audio signal

Crystal filters on 3 first IF stages and DSP on the 4th IF

One of the best selectivity

Efficient and powerful DSP at IF stages

Optional Collins mechanical filters

Many direct access options

Many excellent anti-interference tools

Custom multi-function bar graphs

Many lights and warning on display and control panel

Quick access to memories

Double VFO

DSP speaker

Additional filters are easy to install

Connectors for 2 aerials and one receive antenna

Built-in software supported by most loggers

CAT program capabilities

The "minus" of the FT-1000MP Mark-V a

Bulky once completed with PSU and speaker

Outmoded design

Outmoded fluorescent digital display (instead of LCD)

Menu access to revise

Complex Menuing with neither scrolling nor full text capabilities

RIT/SPLIT renamed CLAR/VFO RX-TX

External PSU

No CAT program provided by Yaesu

Too complex reset procedures

No bandscope

Your appreciation is welcome (in widest working conditions as possible).

73's
Thierry
ON4SKY

Old February 14th 04, 09:30 PM
9V1GO

Cons:

Spectrual purity is crap. Worst key clicks in amateur radio!

Old February 14th 04, 09:30 PM
9V1GO

Old February 17th 04, 11:42 PM
AK

In order to complete my last page devoted to a review of the Yaesu

FT-1000MP
Mark-V available next week on my website
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/menu-qsl.htm
I would like to know the opinion of users in a few words, mainly those
readers fan of DXing and pile-ups.

.. . .
The "plus" of the FT-1000MP Mark-V a

Optional Collins mechanical filters

Thierry
ON4SKY

That's a great website. Enjoyed looking around.

Was amazed that thee would be a provision for Collins mechanical filters on
the Mark-V.

Are those filters still better than modern crystal filters?

Does Collins still make mechanical filters?

ak

Old February 18th 04, 09:26 PM
Thierry

"AK" wrote in message

In order to complete my last page devoted to a review of the Yaesu

FT-1000MP
Mark-V available next week on my website
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/menu-qsl.htm
I would like to know the opinion of users in a few words, mainly those
readers fan of DXing and pile-ups.

. . .
The "plus" of the FT-1000MP Mark-V a

Optional Collins mechanical filters

Thierry
ON4SKY

That's a great website. Enjoyed looking around.

Hi,

Thanks ;-). I do my best to give it a pleasant look (and interesting content
of course)...

Was amazed that thee would be a provision for Collins mechanical filters

on
the Mark-V.
Are those filters still better than modern crystal filters?

Try to proof the contrary. Up to now no one of my friends (using collins
with CW or SSB), internal or external, complain about their quality.

Does Collins still make mechanical filters?

Sure,
http://www.rockwellcollins.com/about.../page4667.html

Thierry, ON4SKY

ak

Old February 19th 04, 07:42 PM
Len

I agree with this, but there are mods available in kit form that solve the
problem for a few bucks. This is an issue for all versions though not just
MK V

/Len

Old February 21st 04, 11:35 PM
9V1GO

But why should the buyer have to clean up a Yaesu mess????? Something
basically wrong with Japanese thinking.

73

Bob 9V1GO (sold all my Yaesu rigs, now use a K2, they listen)