Old March 3rd 04, 05:47 PM
Thierry

Default LUXORION updated : a new History of amateur radio

Hi,

This short message to tell you that I published a short history of amateur
radio, 10 pages illustrated...
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-ham-history.htm

It is mainly dealing with the US ham history replaced in its socioeconomic
context of the time, most of their invention or discoveries having been
re-used by other nations. But to please the non-US hams as well as my ego, I
tried to include some other national events from UK, France or Belgium for
example. These are those "small" event that I tried to find out and that
will be added this study in the future.

It contain of course several links and deal with the space program, a few
words about radioastronomy, and more. Even the first satellite tracking
station from Cordiglia brothers (Torre Bert) is discussed, but in a specific
and separate file due to some alleged claims.

My main radio menu is available at
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/menu-qsl.htm

Hope this help.
Any additional information or addendum is welcome using the form available
on my website.

73
Thierry, ON4SKY

Old March 3rd 04, 07:50 PM

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:47:01 +0100, "Thierry" To answer me in private
use http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm wrote:

Hi,

This short message to tell you that I published a short history of amateur
radio, 10 pages illustrated...
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-ham-history.htm

Hi Thierry,

You obviously spend a lot of time on your web site, and are trying to
add content, which is good. Most web sites don't have much content.

I'd like to offer a suggestion, and I hope you take it the right way.

Adding original content to an already overflowing Internet isn't an
easy job. There is a lot of duplication on the Internet, and a lot of
people assemble entire web sites that are simply a duplication of what
someone else has already done. An example is AC6V's site,
which I'm sure Rod can verify has been ripped off link per link
several times over the years.

This problem has grown so much in the last few years that there
are companies using web spiders (robots) that constantly scan the
Internet looking for copyright and trademark violations. We even have
TurnItIn bot helping educational institutions prevent plagiarism on
student papers. (http://www.turnitin.com)

You have to be careful about what you 'borrow' from other web sites
because you never know if the web site you borrow it from may have
borrowed it previously from someone else without permission. Many
people are under the mistaken impression that if Google Images or
PSearch has an image indexed, it's OK to use it.

I don't know where you got the picture of Edmund B. Durham on your
page at

http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-ham-history2.htm

but the same picture appears on another web site at

http://www.sparkmuseum.com/DURHAM.HTM

and that web site has a copyright notice which reads "Unless otherwise
noted, all images and content are copyright John D. Jenkins. Use
without the written permission of the owner is forbidden."

Anyway, the point is that some people take copyright violations very
seriously, and to protect yourself you should be very careful about
what you use - on the Internet, the source you get it from may not be
the original source.

As we've seen from your exercise in radio history, the Internet is
already full of web sites about radio history. As you add content to
your web site, try and make it original content - that's what makes
your web site unique and interests people in coming to see it.

73, Jim KH2D

Old March 3rd 04, 08:21 PM
Thierry

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:47:01 +0100, "Thierry" To answer me in private
use http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm wrote:

Hi,

This short message to tell you that I published a short history of

amateur
radio, 10 pages illustrated...
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-ham-history.htm

Hi Thierry,

but the same picture appears on another web site at

http://www.sparkmuseum.com/DURHAM.HTM

Hi,

Indeed, I know this problem.
However, in 99.9% of cases I ask the permission to each people, 100% grant.
Many readers could confirm my actions.
I have on the contrary a problem with some vintage pictures of hamshaks.
Some if not all these pictures fall in the public domain according the Berne
Copyight Convention and more recent addenda which I develop the ideas on my
site too at http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/copyright-pro.htm
100 years for a copyright if the author is not more alive looks suspect.

But you right. I have still to check this information with the Spark museum
for the few old hamshack published on my web. All others have already
accepted or am in the way to send the last requests. As usual I send
sometimes some requests after publishing...

In 4 years, since the publishing of this site I was only once questionned
about a copyright problem. Its was PBS, well-known to "persecute" even
websmasters or educational and non-profit websites. But I remove their 3
images and found new and better ones... That concerned abyssal creatures.
Most of the time this is the contrary that occurs. As I create also pictures
and drawing of my own for this website, many people including students,
professors or editors ask me the permission to reprint or reuse my
illustrations on their medium (website of course but also books or CD-ROM).
If I do not own the copyright I forward of cours etheir request to the right
owner.

73
Thierry

Old December 23rd 04, 06:40 AM
johnj

Just for the record, Thierry does have my permission to use my image in
his wonderful history of amateur radio.

John Jenkins (www.sparkmuseum.com)

Thierry wrote:
.. .