Old March 6th 04, 07:13 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Now thats a good idea. Kinda like retro radio. From what I heard, during
the days of King Spark, it took KW levels to be heard in the next town.
Lets go for it.

We can send traffic to each part of the country via the National Traffic
System...them set up short and long range relay stations. Dang...just like
it was in the beginning. I like it.

Dan/W4NTI

"Dave Shrader" wrote in message
There will be so much capital investment by companies in BPL that the
courts won't dare to overturn the decision!!!! The FCC will cave to the
$$$ interest, if they have not already done so.

The answer may be to establish local HF nets, need to be local to keep
S/N ratios high, and get on the air during peak internet times and
simply shut down the BPL service at the consumer level. Let the
consumers complain about poor service. Then provide the defense of
non-licensed Part 15 devices etc.

Running 1 KW as the minimum power necessary to communicate across town
on 75 phone will certainly have an impact on local BPL users!!!

DD

Zoran Brlecic wrote:

Hans K0HB wrote:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/...service_1.html

Yep, sadly it's becoming a reality.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when I program my electronic
keyer into a CQ loop, fire up the amp and leave on a vacation. Of
course, the next logical step is the FCC protecting the BPL by placing
amateur radio in part 15.

WA7AA

Old March 6th 04, 10:08 PM
K7JEB

Dave Shrader wrote:

Running 1 KW as the minimum power necessary to
communicate across town on 75 phone will certainly
have an impact on local BPL users!!!

DD

Yes it will, and that's when Congress and G.W.Bush
will cough up the "Internet Counter-Terrorism Bill
of 2006" that will limit all HF amateur radio operators
to 5 watts PEP output to prevent this kind of
"cyberterrorism".

After all, they will argue, the QRP people showed that
amateur operators can work the world at that power level.
Anything higher than that should be viewed as really too
dangerous to be left in "civilian" hands. (They will nudge
the Democrats across the aisle and say "You know, just
like handguns", and it will be a slam-dunk).

Don't underestimate the political power of a 500-million-
dollar capital investment.

Jim Bromley, K7JEB
Glendale, AZ, USA

Old March 6th 04, 11:01 PM
Robert Casey

Dave Shrader wrote:

Running 1 KW as the minimum power necessary to communicate across town
on 75 phone will certainly have an impact on local BPL users!!!

With the amount of interference and noise BPL will make, we will likely
not be in
violation of using excessive power "to carry on the desired
communications". And
we are federally licensed, so that would preempt any local rules and
also trump part 15.