Old March 4th 04, 10:52 PM
Radionews

Default Amateur Radio Newslin(tm) Report 1385 – February 27, 2004

Amateur Radio Newslin(tm) Report 1385 – February 27, 2004

Amateur Radio Newsline report number 1385 with a release date of Friday,
February 27, 2004 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a Q-S-T. Another proposal on restructuring and more on the
fight against B-P-L highlight Amateur Radio Newsline report number 1385 coming
your way right now.

(Billboard Cart Here)

**

RESTRUCTURING: A COUNTER PROPOSAL TO THE ARRL

Just as we all thought it was quieting down, restructuring of the United States
Amateur Radio Service is front and center once again. This, as a small group
that opposes the quantity over quality approach takes a massive counter
proposal to the FCC. The group is headquarted in Florence, Alabama and Amateur
Radio Newsline’s David Black, KB4KCH, is at our South-East Bureau in near-by
Birmingham, with mo

--

Robin Gist, K4VU, listened to the ARRL’s plan to restructure amateur radio
and didn't like it.

--

Audio only: Hear it at www.arnewsline.org on the MP3 audio file of this
newscast.

--

Gist and five other hams who make up a group called the Radio Amateur
Foundation, drew up their own plans for restructuring ham radio. Their

--

Audio only: Hear it at www.arnewsline.org on the MP3 audio file of this
newscast.

--

The group suggests giving Technician class hams restricted HF privileges. And
it strongly advocates keeping the code--5-word-per-minute Morse code

Under the foundation's proposal, the Novice and Advanced licenses would no
longer exist. Current Novice and Advanced license holders would automatically
be upgraded to the next category--a novice would become a Technician and an
Advanced class ham would become an Extra.

Another big change comes in amateur radio testing under the Foundation's plans.

--

Audio only: Hear it at www.arnewsline.org on the MP3 audio file of this
newscast.

--

The Foundation suggests not releasing question pool questions to the public.

--

Audio only: Hear it at www.arnewsline.org on the MP3 audio file of this
newscast.

--

Gist believes hams should have to wait at least 10 days before taking a failed
amateur radio license test again.

--

Audio only: Hear it at www.arnewsline.org on the MP3 audio file of this
newscast.

--

Gist says amateur radio should be quality over quantity. A service of radio
operators who have a sense of value and appreciation for amateur radio. That

From the Southeastern Bureau in Birmingham , Alabama, I'm David Black, KB4KCH,
for The Amateur Radio Newsline.

--

While there are well over a dozen restructuring proposals already before the
FCC only one has really gotten any major attention of the ham radio community.

**

THE BPL FIGHT: WHAT HAMS CAN DO

Meantime, the story that refuses to go away has yet some new twists. Of coarse
we are referring to the imminent introduction of Broadband Over Powerline
Internet access, and the massive interference that ham radio operators believe
it will create. Amateur Radio Newsline’s Mark Abramovicz, NT3V, is here with
the latest:

--

Now that the FCC has released the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in the
Broadband Over Powerlines issue, it's time for amateurs to look it over, digest

So says Jim Haynie W5JBP the American Radio League's president. Here are some
things in the filing you might consider.

"Noise levels, potential interference both ingress and egress. Those are things
that need to be addressed, " Haynie says. "Public relations: What's going to
happen when you get on the air on 20 meters and you knock 10 of your neighbors
off line all of sudden? They call the local power company, it's a public
relations nightmare."

Haynie says once you decide to write that letter, keep in mind it has to be
supported with facts.

"I don't see much water being drawn if somebody writes a letter and says,
'Well, this is good for this and it's good for that and it's going to interfere
with my ham radio hobby and stuff.' I never, ever use the word hobby to
anybody in the Washington. It's the Amateur Radio Service," Haynie says.

"And what you've got to do is use a little bit more fact, a little bit more of
concrete-type evidence that you can conclude on your own. And that's pretty
simple to do. It's got to be well-reasoned arguments. It can't be emotional
argument."

And, once you've finished the letter or e-mail, Haynie says make a copy or
print a copy of what you've prepared.

"Put it in an envelope with your QSL card and send it into your local
representative at his district office, not in Washington but his district
office," Haynie advises. "I'm just amazed how much power that letter has to
your local congressman and your local senator when you mail it to one of his
local district offices."

Haynie continues to express disappointment the FCC failed to wait for a report
from the National Telecommunications Information Agency. The agency oversees
radio spectrum use by government agencies and services, including the military.
He says its technicians have been busy at BPL trial sites across the country.

"We know that they've done over 18,000 measurements over the last four months
in the various (BPL) test areas," Haynie says. "We have gotten actually
photographs of their trucks, we've seen them working hard at it. And that's
what surprised me that the commission rolled this out before the information
was made available.

"We were told by NTIA that it would be available the first part of this year.
Now in government-speak, I don't know what that means. I know we got, the
League's got petitions sitting up in the commission now since I took office as
president in 2000. It is 2004 and they're still sittting on somebody's desk.

"So, FCC and NTIA, I'm sure, have their own timetables and they're not going to
worry about what the ARRL or what some ham radio operators think about it.
They're going to do their own work in the own way in their own time."

Haynie hopes the NTIA finishes its work soon and gets its report to the FCC
pronto. He says it's clear BPL is targeted for special FCC attention.

"I think they'll put this on the fastest of fast tracks and get something
going," Haynie says. "Typically, the window, the comment window will be 45-60
days. I'd be really surprised if they gave it 90 days.

"And, once that's done they start the wheels in motion and they'll (FCC) be
under tremendous pressure from industry to get this thing out the door."

Haynie says the amateur radio service has allies in this fight and he's
confident they will submit comments or speak to their congressmen or senators.
Haynie says he's both cautious and optimistic about the outcome.

"I'm very concerned because I've seen the speed at which this thing has
happened," Haynie says. "And I've seen the comments that the commission has
made and I've seen the denials that the industry has made.

"And it just doesn't make sense. There's something more behind this. And I know
people are going to say it's the almighty dollar. And that's true, it probably
is. You're looking at millions and millions and millions of dollars of
investment here.

"But there's something that just doesn't smell right, I guess, is what I'm
trying to say. So, until I get a better handle and the League - our staff
people get a better handle on where this is going and trust me we're on top of
it every day - I'm just going to be to on the little plus side of a little
cautious."

And finally, Haynie says to those who think the ARRL and other hams are
overreacting like Chicken Little who cried out: The sky is falling! The sky is
falling! He has these sobering thoughts.

"Just because we want, doesn't mean that we get our way. And I'm concerned
about that," Haynie says. "And I'm concerned about another possibility that's
probably the horror of all horrors.

"And that is if the (BPL) rollout is so big and you get tens of hundreds of
thousands of people on, suddenly amateur radio relegates down to the same level
as Part 15. That would be the most horrible thing that could happen to amateur
radio."

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Mark Abramowicz, NT3V, in Philadelphia

--

To read or download the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking from the FCC on Broadband
over Powerlines, you can find it on the FCC's website: www-dot-fcc-dot gov.

**

Break 1

From the United States of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline, heard on
bulletin stations around the world including the Flint Area Independent
Repeaters serving the city of Flint Michigan.

(5 sec pause here)

**

THE BPL FIGHT: A WIN IN 4X4-LAND

Even though the BPL outlook looks a bit grim here in the United States, there
has been a big win over in Israel. Hagal International says that equipment for
the networking of computers over the A C power mains being sold in the country
was found to be causing interference to High Frequency spectrum users. As a
result, Israel’s Ministry of Communications requested an explanation from the
distributor of this equipment on how to remedy the problem. The distributor
did one better. The company replied that it had discontinued the sales of the
interfering devices. (Hagal International)

**

RADIO HONORS: W. VA GOVERNORS FATHER WA8AYP REMEMBERED

Here in West Virginia, Governor Bob Wise strolled into his reception hall last
week to present a check to Kanawha County officials. Little did he know that
those officials – and some amateur radio operators – had a very special
surprise for him.

The money, fifty thousand dollars, was awarded to the county for the purchase
of amateur radio equipment for the metro area’s new emergency operations
center, and a new mobile command post.

As he usually does when speaking about amateur radio, Governor Wise began to
reminisce about his father. He recalled hearing the sounds of CW from his
father’s Hallicrafters receiver wafting into his bedroom at night. He even
remembered his father’s amateur callsign, WA8AYP. At that moment, his
attention was directed to a nearby FT-847 to receive a message.

--

Audio only: Hear it at www.arnewsline.org on the MP3 audio file of this
newscast.

--

That’s control operator Bill Hunter, K8BS, telling the governor via amateur
radio that his father’s callsign is now the club callsign of the Kanawha

The surprise was the brainchild of Kanawha County Commission President Kent
Carper, W8CHS, who appears to be one politician who can keep a secret.

Robert Wise, Senior became a silent key in 1986. He was active in emergency
communications during the 1960’s and 70’s. (ARNewsline(tm))

**

RADIO HONORS: FCC NAMED TO RECEIVE NCAI LEADERSHIP AWARD

The FCC has been named by the National Congress of American Indians to be the
2004 recipient of it’s prestigious NCAI Leadership Award. The regulatory
agency was selected based on its outstanding leadership and ongoing commitment
and support to American Indians and Alaska Natives.

The National Congress of American Indians gives only three of these awards
annually. One goes to Congress, one goes to the Administration, and one goes
to another deserving entity. This year's recipients are House Natural
Resources Committee Chairman Richard Pombo of California, the US Commission on
Civil Rights, and the FCC. (FCC)

**

HAM RADIO TESTING: QPC WITHDRAWS A GENERAL TEST QUESTION

The Question Pool Committee of the National Conference of Volunteer Examination
Coordinators has announced the withdrawal Question G5B11 from the Element 3
General class question pool. The QPC says that the question deleted asked what
would be the RMS voltage if you combined two or more sine wave voltages?

According to QPC Chairman Scotty Newstadter, W4WW, the withdrawal refers to
question G5B11 in the new, December 1, 2003, released General pool. It is not
referring to the same numbered question in the pool that expires at midnight,
June 30, 2004. (QPC, W4WW)

**

ENFORCEMENT: JACK GERRITSEN, EX-KG6IRO IN JAIL

Californian Jack Gerritsen, the ex-KG6IRO, will be spending time in jail, but
not for his alleged interference to ham radio repeaters in the Los Angeles
area.

On Monday, February 23rd, Federal Court Judge Carolyn Turchin sentenced
Gerritsen to 30 days in jail and ordered him to pay a $2500 fine on a
tresspassing charge. In passing sentence, judge Turchin explained that she
could not place Gerritsen on formal probation as the U-S Attorney asked,
because he was going to spend his entire sentence in jail with no time left for
probation. The Judge told Gerritsen that he has until May 15th to pay the fine
or a lien will be placed on his home in the city of Bell.

Gerritsen’s alleged harassment of area repeaters had brought numerous letters
to the court asking that it bar him from operating any sort of radio
transmitter. In a statement to the court Judge Turchin noted that she had read
many of the notes sent to her by the amateur community but that she would not
be able to take them into consideration for this case. This was because the
charges were brought because Gerritsen failed to obey a sign in the Courthouse
and entered a door to the roof of the building.

Judge Turchin did say that she she would forward all the letters to the Federal
Probation Department to be put in Gerritsen’s file. The ex-KG6IRO was then
taken into custody by U.S. Marshals and escorted away. (ARNewsline(tm))

**
WITH THE ARRL: LEAGUE LOOKING FOR COMMENTS ON VHF+ CONTESTING

The ARRL is looking for input from VHF and UHF contesters to help improve the
radiosporting events they take part in. According to a posting top the VHF
Reflector by New England Division Director Tom Frenaye, K1KI, for the last year
or so the League has been studying ways to increase interest and participation
in VHF and above contests and awards. Now its ready to go further and it is
inviting the ham community to take part. We have more in this report:

--

Tom Frenaye, K1KI, heads up the ARRL's VHF-UHF Contest and Awards Subcommittee.
He says that changes to the contest rules and awards programs should be

Because of this, there are now some recommendations coming from those in the
ARRL who have studied the situation. These incclude making changes in the QSO
points and rover rules. Also under consideration is limiting the June VHF QSO
Party to the bands from 50 to 1296 MHz only, expanding the Microwave contest
based on 10 GHz Cumulative and dropping the current UHF contest. Added would
be new contest categories in January, June and September.

Frenaye notes that these major recommendations, and a number of minor ones, are
still just that -- recommendations. He says that the ARRL feels it is now very
important to have further input from the VHF and above contest community before
proceeding. He asks all contesters interested in these bands to take an
in-depth look at the preoposed changes and then to respond. He hopes that a
lot of you will.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I’m Norm Seeley, KI7UP, reporting.

--

You can e-mail your ideas and comments on or before March 7th to
. (K1KI via VHF Reflector)

**

CW SAVVY: A MORSE CODE SYMBOL FOR THE "AT SIGN"

Computer fanatics who also like operating C-W listen up. Radio Currents Online
for February 16th says that the International Morse Code is being updated to
include a new character for the "at sign". In December, the International
Telecommunications Union voted to create the character which will be known as a
commat. The commat is made up of dot-dash for the letter A and
dash-dot-dash-dot which we all know is the letter C. The two characters are
combined with no space between them giving Morse code web surfers an easy way
to send an e-mail address or the location of a webpage. (CGC)

**

CONVENTIONS AND HAPPENINGS: THE QCWA 2004 HAMVENTON DINNER

On the convention scene, word that the Quarter Century Wireless Association
will hold its 2004 Hamvention Banquet at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, May 14th.
Hosted by hosted by South West Ohio Chapter 9 the location this year is Alex's
Continental Restaurant near the Dayton suburb of Miamisburg. Cost per person
is $ 17.00 and advance reservations are required. Send requests and payment
to Jerry Ragland, 409 Park Avenue, Franklin, Ohio, 45005. (QCWA)

**

ARRL SM ELECTIONS: THE RESULTS ARE IN

Turning to names in the news, word that Patrick Bunsold, WA6MHZ, has elected as
the ARRL San Diego Section Manager in the only contested election this winter.
Bunsold received 378 votes and his opponent, Stephen Early, AD6VI, garnered
only 258 votes.

Election ballots were counted February 24 at ARRL Headquarters. Bunsold's
two-year term of office begins on April 1st. All other Section Managers
standing for re-election ran unopposed. (ARRL)

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CONTROL ROOM GLASS

And Amateur Radio Newsline President and Producer, Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, is
now the author of a new column dealing with ham radio operators working in the
broadcasting profession appearing on the famed HalEisner.Com website.

Bill’s calls his commentary “The Other Side of the Control Room Glass.�
It tells the stories of famous and no-so-famous people in the broadcast
profession who share a common interest in Amateur Radio and the way in which
being a ham has affected their careers.

The column began on Sunday, February 22nd with the first of a 4-part tribute to
the late Roy Neal, K6DUE. This series will include a retrospective on Neal’s
successful effort to put a manned Amateur Radio station into space.

“The Other Side of the Control Room Glass� becomes a monthly feature of the
website in April. You can read it on-line at
www.haleisner.com
(ARNewsline(tm))

**

BREAK 2

This is ham radio news for today’s radio amateur. From the United States of
America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline with links to the world from our
only official website at www.arnewsline.org and being relayed by the volunteer
services of the following radio amateur:

(5 sec pause here)

**

HAMS HELPING HAMS: THE MIKE NEWBOLD, K0YO FUND

A fund to help 6 meter rover operator Mike Newbold, K0YO. It was set up by a
group of hams who value Newbold’s contributions by putting his life
on-the-line to get rare grid squares on the air. And late last year it almost
cost him his life. Bruce Tennant, K6PZW, has the rest of the story:

--

According to a posting on QRZ.com made for Phil Krichbaum, N0KE , Mike Newbold,
K0YO, was vacationing in Baja Mexico just before Christmas 2003. He was

Kirchbaum says that Newbold crawled 3 kilometers on his hands and knees through
cactus and over rocks to a road where he had a better chance of being located.
Some surfers from Los Angeles found him the next day. They took him to a
medical facility and contacted the police. They then transported Newbold back
to California for further medical treatment. Newbold then went back to
Steamboat Springs, Colorado, where his son took him for additional medical care
and then home for a Christmas eve dinner. Kirchbaum says he has since visited
Newbold brought him a 2 meter F-M radio donated by Bob Ludtke, K9MWM. Thats
where he learned that the value of items lost and stolen in Baja easily exceeds
$10,000.

To help defray the cost of replacing Newbold’s pick-up truck, camper and ham
radio gear that he and Gary Yantis, W0TM have established he Mike Newbold Fund.
If anyone would care to make a donation to help get Newbold back on the road
to rare grids, please contact W0TM or N0KE. Their respective e-mail addresses
are and .

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I’m Bruce Tennant, K6PZW, in Los Angeles.

--

You can read more about Mike Newbold, K0YO, and what happened to him on-line on
line on the newspages at

**

HAM RADIO IN SPACE: SUCCESSFUL OHIO ISS CONTACT

Friday, February 20th was a great day for youngsters at Ohio’s Glenwood
Elementary School. That’s when International Space Station Commander Mike
Foale, KB5UAC successfully answered questions from a number of students.
Better yet, Bill Chalkin, KA8VIT, in nearby South Euclid was listening and
recording. Take a listen to a ham radio from space:

--

Audio only: Hear it at www.arnewsline.org on the MP3 audio file of this
newscast.

--

In all, sixteen students got to question KB5UAC about life on-orbit. According
to the AMSAT News Service preliminary reports indicate the space station side

**

INTERNATIONAL - WORLDWIDE: NO RECIPROCAL 5 MHZ OPERATIONS

Turning to international news, a reminder that holders of United Kingdom 5 MHz
operating permits are reminded that CEPT international operating rules does not
apply to 5 Mhz. The only countries currently allowing 5 MHz operation by
individual stations are the United Kingdom and the United States. Only club
stations are presently being allowed to use 5 MHz in Finland and operations by
stations in Norway and New Zealand are for internal emergency communications
purposes only. Stations in Canada may use 5 MHz frequencies at agreed
specified times but activity from Germany is not currently permitted. (GB2RS)

**

ON THE AIR: FIELD DAY 2004 - JUNE 26-27

Turning to operating events, the ARRL Letter says that rules and entry packets
for the 2004 running of ARRL Field Day now are available on the League’s
Website. The ARRL Letter notes that Field Day is always the fourth full
weekend of June. This year it’s June 26th and 27th with activity beginning
at 1800 UTC Saturday and ends at 2100 UTC Sunday.

There are no rules changes from 2003. Participation in Field Day now is open
to all amateurs within IARU Region 2. Field Day stations may contact stations
in other regions for point credit, but stations outside Region 2 are not
eligible to submit entries for this event.

More information is on-line at www.arrl.org (ARRL)

**

DX

In D-X, I2YSB, I2MOV, IK1AOD and IK2DIA, have been on the air from Tokelau
signing slash ZK3. They now say that they plan to be active portable 5 W from
Samoa on all bands and modes between the 29th of February and 8th of March.
Look for them on the usual D-X frequencies. (GB2RS)

Also, K4ISV and K4CN will be active slash VP5 from North Caicos Islands through
the 17th of March. They will also participate in the CQ 160-Metre SSB contest
as VP5B. QSL as directed on the air. (GB2RS)

And a Galapagos Islands "HC8/HD8 DX Diploma" is now being issued by the
DX-TA-SEA DX Club. This multicolored certificate is awarded to Amateur Radio
operators and short wave Listeners for confirming a minimum of 3 different HC8
or HD8 stations in the Galapagos Islands. All contacts or SWL reports made
after November 20, 1945 are eligable. Submissions and information requests go
to Dr. Rick Dorsch, NE8Z, P.O. BOX 616, Hamburg, Michigan 48139 -0616 (NE8Z)

‘**

RADIOSPORTS: HES OFF AND WALKING

He’s on the road again. We are talking about Tony Whitaker, G3RKL, who is
off on his latest trek. Amateur Radio Newslie’s Jim Meachen, ZL2BHF, has the
details:

--

His short walk has begun!:

--

Audio only: Hear it at www.arnewsline.org on the MP3 audio file of this
newscast.

--

That’s the voice of Tony Whitaker, G3RKL, as he begins his pre-announced trek
from Invercargill to Blenheim. What’s amazing is that recording comes to you

--

Audio only: Hear it at www.arnewsline.org on the MP3 audio file of this
newscast.

--

During his stroll Whitaker will be on the air using the special callsign
ZL6SHS. And -- you will literally find him operating everywhere including

So, keep an ear open for Tony Whitaker, G3RKL, as ZL6SHS as he jauntily
saunters the length of New Zealands South Island. He might be coming to an
Internet linked repeater in your hometown and right to your H T.

--

Audio only: Hear it at www.arnewsline.org on the MP3 audio file of this
newscast.

--

With thanks to Ian Abel, G3ZHI, for the audio of Tony’s first few minutes on
the road, I’m Jim Meachen, ZL2BHF, reporting from Auckland, New Zealand for

--

With access to Echolink and IRLP now quite common you can expect to hear more
from G3RKL here on Newsline in the coming weeks. (ARNewsline(tm) with audio

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE

With thanks to Alan Labs, AMSAT, the ARRL, the CGC Communicator, CQ Magazine,
the FCC, the Ohio Penn DX Bulletin, Radio Netherlands, Rain, the RSGB and
Australia's Q-News, that's all from the Amateur Radio Newsline(tm). Our e-mail
address is newsline @arnewsline.org. More information is available at Amateur
Radio Newsline's(tm) only official website located at www.arnewsline.org. You
can also write to us or support us at Amateur Radio Newsline(tm), P.O. Box
660937, Arcadia, California 91066.

A reminder that the newly created Roy Neal, K6DUE, Amateur Radio Mentoring
Project is up and operating. We already have signed up over two dozen hams who
are willing to assist others. If you can help, or if you need assistance
please drop a note with your name, address, hone number and area of expertise
to and we will get back to you as fast as we can.

For now, with Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, at the editors desk, I’m Jim Damron,
N8TMW, and I’m Jeff Clark, K8JAC, saying 73 and we thank you for listening."
Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2004. All rights reserved.