Old April 4th 04, 07:55 PM
Tedd Mirgliotta

Default Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #655

SB DX @ WW KB8NW $OPDX.655
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin No. 655

The Ohio/Penn DX PacketCluster
DX Bulletin No. 655
BID: $OPDX.655
April 5, 2004
Editor Tedd Mirgliotta, KB8NW
Provided by BARF80.ORG (Cleveland, Ohio)

Thanks to the Northern Ohio Amateur Radio Society, Northern Ohio DX
Association, Ohio/Penn PacketCluster Network, AB5K & the AR TelNet
Clusters Network, K1YR, W1JR, KA1GJ/V73GJ, K1XN & GoList, NC1L, NG3K,
W3UR & The Daily DX, N4AA & QRZ DX, K8YSE, W8UVZ, CO8ZZ, DL/VE3ZIK
& www.contesting.info, DL1EK & The DX News Letter, F5CWU & La Gazette
du DX, F5NQL & UFT, F6AJA & Les Nouvelles DX, G4JVG, I1JQJ/IK1ADH & 425
DX News, JI6KVR & JA-IOTA Islands News, LU9ESD, VA3RJ & ICPO, VE3EXY,
VK3FRS, W1AW Bulletins and the ARRL Letter for the following DX
information.

DXCC COUNTRY/ENTITY REPORT: According to the AR-Cluster Network for the
week of Sunday, 28th/March, through Sunday, 4th/April there were 232
countries active. Countries available: 3A, 3B8, 3B9, 3D2, 3V, 3W, 3X,
4J, 4L, 4S, 4U1I, 4W, 4X, 5B, 5H, 5R, 5T, 5U, 5V, 5W, 5X, 5Z, 6W, 6Y,
7Q, 7X, 8P, 8R, 9A, 9G, 9H, 9J, 9K, 9M2, 9M6, 9Q, 9V, 9X, 9Y, A2, A3,
A4, A5, A6, A7, A9, AP, BV, BY, C2, C3, C5, C6, CE, CE9, CM, CN, CP,
CT, CT3, CU, CX, D2, D4, DL, DU, EA, EA6, EA8, EA9, EI, EK, EL, EP,
ER, ES, ET, EU, EX, EY, EZ, F, FG, FJ, FK, FM, FO, FR, FY, G, GD, GI,
GJ, GM, GU, GW, H4, HA, HB, HB0, HC, HH, HI, HK, HK0/a, HL, HP, HR,
HS, HV, HZ, I, IS, J2, J3, J6, J8, JA, JD/m, JD/o, JT, JW, JY, K, KG4,
KH0, KH2, KH6, KH8, KL, KP2, KP4, LA, LU, LX, LY, LZ, OD, OE, OH, OH0,
OK, OM, ON, OX, OY, OZ, P2, P4, PA, PJ2, PJ7, PY, PZ, S2, S5, S7, S9,
SM, SP, ST, SU, SV, SV5, SV9, T2, T30, T33, T7, T8, T9, TA, TF, TG,
TI, TJ, TK, TR, TT, TU, TY, UA, UA2, UA9, UK, UN, UR, V2, V3, V4, V5,
V6, V7, V8, VE, VK, VK9L, VK9N, VP2E, VP5, VP8, VP8/h, VP9, VQ9, VR,
VU, XE, XU, XX9, YA, YB, YI, YJ, YK, YL, YN, YO, YS, YU, YV, Z2, Z3,
ZA, ZB, ZC4, ZD7, ZD8, ZF, ZK1/s, ZL, ZP, ZS

* PLEASE NOTE: The report "could" contain "Pirate/SLIM" operations or
more likely a "BUSTED CALLSIGN". As always, you never know - "Work
First Worry Later" (WFWL).

3B9C RODRIGUES ISLAND DXPEDITION (Update). As this was being written on
Sunday morning, the 3B9C team has hit over 126,000 QSOs. Remember, you
still have a little over a week to work them. Their activity will last
until April 13th, so who can guess what their total QSO count will end
up as. According to the updates on their Web page, the team will now move
more into the U.S. general parts of the bands. Look for more RTTY and PSK
activity (over 3500 QSOs have been made so far). 6 meters and EME activity
will continue. They have made four EME contacts on 70cm and one on 6
meters. QSL via the RSGB QSL Bureau or direct to: FSDXA, PO Box 73,
Church Stretton, SY6 6WF UK. For more information and updates about the
DXpedition (plus online log and a form to request bureau cards), please
visit the 3B9C Web page at: http://www.fsdxa.com/3b9c/

7P, LESOTHO. Bernie, ZS4TX, has made an early announcement that he will
be active as 7P8Z during the CQ WW DX SSB Contest (October 30-31st) as
Single-Op/All-Band/High Power entry. QSL via ZS4TX. Visit his Web at:
http://www.zs4tx.co.za/7p8z.htm

7Q, MALAWI (Update/Reminder). Steve, G4JVG, reminds OPDX readers that
the UK Malawi DXpedition is only 2 weeks away. The callsign to be used
by the UK Malawi DXpedition between April 18th and May 1st will be 7Q7MM.
Operators will be Mark/G4AXX, Dick/GU4CHY, Steve/G4JVG and Rich/M5RIC,
and they will be active on all bands from 160-10 meters on CW, SSB, RTTY,
PSK, and possibly 10 meters FM (subject to demand and propagation).
Activity is likely to be limited on April 18th and 19th while the stations
and antennas are being built. The operation is expected to start in
earnest on April 19th or 20th. Updated detailed propagation predictions
to nine locations around the world were uploaded to their Web site at
the beginning of April. Logs will be uploaded to the Web site and updated
regularly during the DXpedition. Two high-power stations will be on the
air as close to 24 hours a day as possible. A third station at 100W will
be in use during peak hours of propagation. QSL via G3LQP direct (Roger
Brown, 262 Fir Tree Road, Epsom KT17 3NL, England) or via the bureau.
The UK Malawi DXpedition Web is available at:
http://www.malawi.digital-crocus.com

DXCC NEWS. Bill Moore, NC1L, ARRL DXCC Manager, advises, "The DXCC Branch
recently received a letter from Robert Felicite, 3B9FR, indicating that
he has not sent any logs to F6FNU since 1999. Robert asked us to pass
this along to the DX community. While we continue to receive these cards,
the DXCC Branch will no longer issue 3B9FR credit for F6FNU-confirmed
contacts made after 1999. Requests for QSL cards for 3B9FR should be
sent direct to: Robert Felicite, P.O. Box 31, Citronelle, Rodriguez Island,
REPUBLIC OF MAURITIUS, Indian Ocean."

EN60, UKRAINE. Seven stations from Odessa will be active using the EN60
prefix from April 3-17th. Here is a list of stations that will be active
with their QSL routes:
EN60FJ - Sam, UT9FJ - QSL via home callsign to Bureau or direct to:
Box 100, Odessa, 65065, UKRAINE.
EN60FT - Vlad, UT0FT - QSL via home callsign
EN60FEL - Alex, UR5FEL - QSL via home callsign
EN60FHY - Vlad, UX5HY - QSL via home callsign
EN60FEO - Serge, UR5FEO - QSL via home callsign
EN60FA - Serge, UT2FA - QSL via home callsign
EN60FY - Eugene, UX0FY - QSL via home callsign

FO/M, MARQUESAS ISLANDS. Look for Hiro/JI1JKW and Ari/JI1WTF to be active
as FO/JI1JKW and FO/JI1WTF, respectively, from Hiva Oa (OC-027) from
April 28th to May 2nd. Activity is planned for 160-6 meters on CW/SSB/RTTY.
A 6 meter beacon will be on 50110 kHz. QSL via their home callsigns,
direct or by the bureau.

HOW'S DXING IN 2004? (by Joe Reisert, W1JR) Joe, W1JR, sent the following
E-mail to OPDX and we thought it would be of interest to the readers:
"People are always complaining about the POOR propagation conditions.
Let this note be an exception.

Yes, conditions are poor but we have to adapt to them. If you think
things are poor now, wait until this time next year!

Anyhow, just to let you know that since January 1st, 2004, W1JR has
worked over 240 DXCC using all modes. The split is about rather even
with over 210 on each of phone and cw and over 125 on digital modes.
So, the bottom line is that the DX is out there. We just have to work
a little harder than usual!

Believe it or not, I have missed about 20 other entities that I either
heard or missed for one reason or another!" 73, Joe, W1JR

HR1, HONDURAS. Mark, W4CK, announced that he will be back in Tegucigalpa
this summer from July 8-15th. He plans to be active as HR1/W4CK from his
hotel. Activity will be CW only, and he will make a push for the WARC bands
if there is interest.

IOTA NEWS.................
AS-036. Operators JA1KJW, JJ1JGI and possibly 9 others will operate
as homecall/6 from Tsushima Island (JIIA AS-036-022) from
April 16-18th. Activity will be on the HF/VHF/UHF bands and
on CW/SSB. QSL via their home callsigns direct or by the
Bureau.

AS-043. Operators Mitsuo/JA1UNS, Suehiro/JI1PLF, Hisashi/7N1GMK, 7L4PVR
and 7N4VPS will activate Hachijo Island (JIIA-AS-043-003)
between April 23-26th. The operators will sign homecall/1 and
will be active on 160-10 meters CW, SSB, RTTY and PSK31. QSL
to their home callsign, direct or via the bureau.

OC-228. Peter Forbes, VK3QI, announced last week that the operators
who activated OC-251 in September 2002 and OC-261 in April
2003 plan to activate Baudin Rocks (aka Godfrey Island) in
the South Australia State East Group, over the Easter long
weekend, commencing Thursday, April 8th and concluding Monday,
April 12th. Peter's press release states: "This will be a
special event, commemorating the 200th anniversary of the
death of Captain Nicolas Baudin, the French explorer, who
died in September 1803 on the island of Mauritius during his
return to Europe from exploration of the Australian coastline.
Baudin Rocks, which is located 8 kms north of the seaport of
Robe in south-eastern South Australia, was named by Captain
Matthew Flinders after his famous encounter with Baudin in
1802 off the South Australian coast. Baudin Rocks is a closely
protected Conservation Park and a permit has been obtained for
4 operators to land and operate for a limited period. Operating
dates are very much dependant on weather conditions, which
can be very unpredictable. Expected operators are Peter/VK3QI,
Keith/VK3FT, Jack/VK3WWW and Tony/VK3TZ. Usual IOTA frequencies
will be observed, both CW and SSB. Emphasis will be on 30 and
40 CW and 20, 17 and 15 SSB. Long Path to Europe around
0500-0800z will also be emphasized. OC-228 has only been
activated once before in April 1999, by Martin (G3ZAY) as
VK4CAY/5 for a limited number of hours, making it a relatively
rare group. A special commemorative callsign has been issued,
VI5BR, and we are particularly interested in having contacts
with as many French stations as possible. The callsign will
be announced closer to the date. QSL details are as follows:
via VK3QI direct (any callbook) or via VK3 QSL Bureau." If you
have any questions about the proposed operation, please E-mail
them to Peter Forbes, VK3QI, at:

SA-021. Look for operators Osmar/LU8DWR (Team Leader), Carlos/LU7DSY,
Carlos/LU4ETN, Gabriel/LU8EBJ, Dario/LU4DRH, Walter/LU5DRV,
Hugo/LW9EVA, Gabriel/LW9EAG and Emmanuel/LU9ESD to activate
Wood Island for the first time starting Friday, April 9th
through Sunday, April 11th. Activity will be on all bands
and modes (including WARC bands and digimodes) depending on
propagation. There will not be a special callsign used; the
operators will use their own callsign "/D" (Buenos Aires
Province). A special FULL COLOR QSL CARD will be printed.
QSL Manager is LU7DSY: Carlos Almiron, P.O. Box 709,
8000 Bahia Blanca, Argentina. For QSLing direct, please send
2 USD or 2 IRC.

JW, SVALBARD. Francois, F8DVD, is now active as JW/F8DVD. Activity will
last until April 10th (Refer to OPDX.653). Activity will be on SSB 80-10
meters. He was heard over the past weekend between 14190-14200 kHz. QSL
via F8DVD to the French Bureau or direct.

KH4, MIDWAY ISLAND (Update to OPDX.654). Jeff, KA1GJ, updated OPDX on his
possible band activities from KH4-land. He states, "I am trying to determine
if the KH4 club antennas are still up and operational. If so, I will be
on all bands that I can --- otherwise, I am carrying a 10/12/15/17/20
meter vertical which I will put up after I land." (ed. Does anyone know if
the antennas are still up at the club station? I will pass the word onto
Jeff... TNX). Remember, Jeff will be operating as KA1GJ/MM from April 16th
through May 12th, and is expected to be active as KA1GJ/KH4 on Midway
from April 23-25th. QSL via V73GJ, P.O. Box 1050, APO AP 96555 USA.

LOTW CONTINUES TO GROW! According this week's ARRL Letter, the "Logbook
of The World" (LoTW), ARRL's electronic awards credit system, is closing
in on 40 million separate Amateur Radio contacts. ARRL Special Assistant
to the CEO David Patton, NN1N, states, "Right now there are 39.6 million
QSOs entered into Logbook, with 1.18 million matched contacts." There are
7000 distinct registered users of the system, holding 9000 authenticated
certificates, Patton added. Users may have more than one registered
certificate, reflecting operation from home, changing callsigns, operations
during DXpeditions, or portable station operation each sporting a separate
callsign. To read the complete article, read The ARRL Letter (Vol. 23,
No. 14 -- April 2, 2004).

P4, ARUBA (OOOPPPSSS!). In last week's bulletin we called Emily, P43E,
as a "him" (OM) instead of a "her" (YL).... SORRY Emily! Anyway, OPDX
would like to welcome Emily back to the airwaves again. She was heard this
past week on on 20 meters SSB. Activity was on 14192 kHz (and 14217) between
0030-0345z. QSL via the buearu or direct to: Emily Thiel, P.O.Box 614,
ARUBA. Visit her Web page at:
http://www.qsl.net/p43e

QSL INFO AND NEWS.................
4N800H and YU800G QSL INFO. Sinisa, YU1RA, informs Zik, DL/VE3ZIK,
that he was active with these two callsign between December 1998 and
March 24th 1999 on 160 meters. Also, he still has some cards and the
complete logs. So if somebody didn't receive a QSL card for these two
callsigns on 160m, send him an E-mail at:
He will be glad to help you.

NOT THE QSL MANAGER. Joe, W3HNK, reports that he is receiving lots of
mail for C4M, and he is NOT the QSL Manager for this station. This
station was active during the CQ WPX SSB Contest weekend, and the
operator was RW3QC. The correct QSL route is via Alex, RW3RN. Visit
Alex's QSL Service Web page at:
http://www.tmb.ru/~i011f/service.html

QSL INFO FOR THE CQ WPX SSB CONTEST. Zik, DL/VE3ZIK, informs OPDX that
he has posted the latest QSL info for this contest on his Web page
at: http://www.contesting.info

Alex, CO8KA, who has been quite active on HF bands (mainly on 80
meters), now has a QSL Manager. His QSL Manager is Steffen, DL4ALI.

QSL the Cuban contest station, T48K, via Erhard, DK1WI. This is the
same QSL route for Raul/CO8ZZ and his wife Del/CO8DRG.

QSL COLLECTION. Jean Michel reports that they have nearly 1900 old QSL
cards on display in six different galleries on the Les Nouvelle DX
Web site at: http://LesNouvellesDX.free.fr
Some of the cards on display include QSLs from each of the 58 deleted
DXCC entities, QSLs from the Antarctic bases, QSLs from the Terres
Australes and Antarctiques Francaises (TAAF), QSLs dated before 1945
(which includes French and other entities) and QSLS with old obsolete
prefixes. Several QSL cards are still needed for their collection, and
they are looking for your participation in their search to find them.
Please visit their Web and send any comments to:

CY0DX QSLS. Nenad, VE3EXY, reports that while CY0MM cards are coming
out smoothly, both direct and via the bureau, there are still some
people who are struggling with receiving CY0DX (1997) QSL cards. Please
be advised that the QSL Manager is VE3NZ not VA2EU. Nenad states that
the VA2EU callsign (original QSL route) has been re-issued to another
owner in 2001, and he is NOT handling CY0DX QSL cards. The original
QSL Manager is now licensed as VE3NZ. All VE/VA addresses can found
at:
http://www.rac.ca
Please update your QSL DataBases.

QSL ER0FEL via Alex, UR5FEL. Alex was using this callsign in last
weekend's CQ WPX SSB Contest.

Graham, M5AAV, reports that he is now handling all QSL cards for
Maurice, Z21KF. He adds, "The Postal Service in Zimbabwe is 'highly
suspect', and many requests have gone astray." Graham prefers direct
cards, but will accept cards via the RSGB Bureau.

SECOND NOTICE FOR DAYTON TOPBAND GATHERING. George Taft, W8UVZ, states,
"STILL TIME TO SIGN UP! All 160 meter enthusiasts are cordially invited
to the Topband dinner on Friday night of the 2004 Dayton Hamvention. This
annual event brings together 160 meter fans from around the world for
food, drink and camaraderie." The event will be held May 14th, at Neil's
Heritage House Restaurant (2323 Schantz Avenue, Dayton). Important times:
6:30 PM (Social Hour with Cash Bar) and 8:00 PM (Dinner). Tickets a
28.00 USD each (includes complete dinner, taxes and gratuity). For more
details, contact George Taft, W8UVZ, by E-mail at:
Reservations must be paid by May 1st.

SPECIAL EVENT. It was announced this past week in "ARRL Special Bulletin
(ARLX001)": "The Hiram Percy Maxim Memorial station at ARRL Headquarters,
W1AW, will sign with a special designator - /90 - through the rest of
2004. The callsign reflects the 90th anniversary of the League's founding
by Maxim and Clarence Tuska in 1914. Operation as W1AW/90 will begin April
3rd. W1AW Station Manager Joe Carcia, NJ1Q, said he will encourage guest
operators to use as many modes as possible, including RTTY, PSK31, Satellite
and Hellschreiber. 'Plus, we're going to try for SSTV WAS,' he added.
'It'll be tough, but we can do it.' Special QSL cards will be available
for W1AW/90 contacts, and Carcia noted that self-addressed, stamped return
envelopes should accompany all QSL requests. All contacts with W1AW/90
will also be uploaded to Logbook of The World."

T33C BANABA DXPEDITION. The international team of 19 operators are now on
the island. Activity seems to have started early Sunday, April 4th, on
20 meters CW. The DXpedition is expected to last until April 16th. As this
was being written Sunday morning, activity was mainly 20 meters (probably
because the rest of the team is setting up the other stations). Watch for
updates on their Web page. The Web page for the operation is at:
http://www.dx-pedition.de/banaba2004/
QSL via F5CWU: Flo Moudar, 25 Rue du Castel Salis, 37100 Tours, France.

VP8, SOUTH ORKNEY AND SOUTH GEORGIA ISLANDS. "The Daily DX" is reporting
that Mike, GM0HCQ, is heading to Signy Base, South Orkney, and might
operate as VP8SIG (possibly for 1 day) between April 10-12th. Also, he
may operate as VP8SGK from Bird Island, South Georgia, between April
14-19th. Mike is currently active as VP8CMH/MM from the ship "James Clark
Ross". He was heard this past weekend on 30/20/17/12/10 meters CW between
1300-2030z. For more details on his trip on the "James Clark Ross", please
visit Mike's Web page at: http://www.gm0hcq.com

VP9, BERMUDA (Update to OPDX.654). Lou, K1YR, provided OPDX with more
details on his upcoming activity from Bermuda. He informs us that he plans
to operate the CQ WPX CW Contest from Ed's, VP9GE, QTH. Lou states, "As
I have to work that Friday (May 28th), my XYL and I are catching the last
plane out to VP9 as the contest begins. I hope to be on about four hours
after the contest starts. I'll try to put in the full 36 hours that Single
Ops are allowed. If I have any gas left, I'll try the WARC bands and/or
80 and 160 after the contest. We leave early Monday afternoon, so it's
not a very long trip. Callsign will be VP9/K1YR and QSL is via my home
call."

ZS4, SOUTH AFRICA. Bernie, ZS4TX, has made an early announcement that he
will be active in the CQ WW DX CW Contest (November 27-28th) as as
Single-OP/All-Band/High-Power entry. QSL via ZS4TX. Visit his Web at:
http://www.zs4tx.co.za/

** IMPORTANT NOTICE/REMINDER ** The Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin now has a new
FAX number. Contributors can now send/fax their DX information to the
following number: 1-419-828-7791 ( F A X only! )
ALSO VISIT THE NORTHERN OHIO DX ASSOCIATION'S WEB HOME PAGE:
http://www.papays.com/nodxa.html
Excerpts and distribution of The OPDX Bulletin are granted as long as
KB8NW/OPDX/BARF80 receive credit. To contribute DX info, please send
via InterNet Mail to: - OR -
Information can now be faxed to the following "NEW" phone line at:
1-419-828-7791 (F A X only!)

/EXIT
--
Tedd Mirgliotta, KB8NW -